Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
784 Posts
POSSIBLE TWEAK ?

If you re-align the fabric like I have below (my recently completed outdoor slingshot backstop) you could create a downward deflection pouch that would prevent the BBs from spilling onto the floor. A staple gun, a drill, and two bamboo skewers should do the trick.

·
Premium Member
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Great idea Darb!

I will try this for sure.

Bad storms stopped my practice today after I got in 200 shots. Darn!

I was hoping to get 1000 shots today.

Thanks again!

·
No other shooting sport compares.
6,434 Posts
POSSIBLE TWEAK ?

If you re-align the fabric like I have below (my recently completed outdoor slingshot backstop) you could create a downward deflection pouch that would prevent the BBs from spilling onto the floor. A staple gun, a drill, and two bamboo skewers should do the trick.

This would work out great for competition. Darb would you mind if I "stole" this design?

·
Premium Member
784 Posts
RM: You cannot steal what's freely given.

You can read about how the design evolved (and finally reached fruition yesturday) over here.

I specifically designed it for easy portability and outdoor group use. The thread I linked also describes all the parts involved.

·
Resigned
5,547 Posts
POSSIBLE TWEAK ?

This is very good for a permanent backstop catch set up. I will duplicate this one. If you can video some of your shooting I would like to view.

·
Premium Member
3,427 Posts
I had a very similar rig with a medium cotton fabric stop. When working with higher band tensions, I would just shoot right through it. I recommend a secondary backstop.

·
Premium Member
784 Posts
Assuming you're referring to my setup, rather than Slingman's ...

"Medium cotton fabric" could mean a lot of things. Bedsheets, particularly good ones with a decent threadcount, use a fine but strong weave ... stronger and lighter than say, a cotton T-shirt. In the last 2 days I've put 300+ shots at it, with ammo up to 9/16, and there's not even a hint of wear or weakness I can see. Then again, It hasnt been tested with really strong bands, so that's a valid and untested point. However, I'm still confident that for most common round ammo varieties, and for normal strength bands, it should be fine.

Anyway, my secondary backstop is a 5 ft high stone retainer wall that could probably handle a 20lb naval cannonball.

·
Premium Member
3,427 Posts
Assuming you're referring to my setup, rather than Slingman's ...

"Medium cotton fabric" could mean a lot of things. Bedsheets, particularly good ones with a decent threadcount, use a fine but strong weave ... stronger and lighter than say, a cotton T-shirt. In the last 2 days I've put 300+ shots at it, with ammo up to 9/16, and there's not even a hint of wear or weakness I can see. Then again, It hasnt been tested with really strong bands, so that's a valid and untested point. However, I'm still confident that for most common round ammo varieties, and for normal strength bands, it should be fine.

Anyway, my secondary backstop is a 5 ft high stone retainer wall that could probably handle a 20lb naval cannonball.
Yes, yours. Here's one of mine, the one that got perforated.

PS, don't copy this rig; it is scary dangerous and I was wearing a full face and head protector.

It was heavier than shirting and lighter than canvas, say suitable for a light jacket.

·
Premium Member
784 Posts
I'm on my cell ATM (Internet on PC is down), so it's hard to see that image ... are you referring to that laRge brownish drape on the right ?
If so, this is one instance where lighter and thinner material that moves freely should outperform heavier and stronger material that cannot. A bedsheet, becase of it's tight weave and lightness,. will move a LOT on impact... giving the ammo more distance to decelerate, and allowing a larger radius of the material to help diffuse the energy.
If i'm interpreting the photo correctly, take a leap of faith, replace the drape with a single thin bedsheet, and hit it with some 3/8 from a strong set of bands.

·
Premium Member
784 Posts
I should probably have mentioned in my post that leaving the sheet loose (not stretched tight) is a critical aspect of its ability to diffuse impact, and thereby deflect shots after their KE is spent. I'd fix it now, but post editing doesnt work well on my cell for this fora platform.

Addendum: because loose bedsheeting involve diffusion of KE across a larger area then stronger and less mobile material, bedsheeting probably wont work in the smaller trap box .. although the shape might still work with a stronger material .. if its not overtaxed by KE.

·
Tex-shooter
4,461 Posts
Until you try two solid cotton tee-shirts hung free you don't know what you are missing. I have two that I have shot at for three years with out a hole yet! They last longer than any thing else that I have tried and I have tried about every thing. I don't know why they last so long but they do. I shoot 1/2 inch steel balls at my target at about 190 FPS. -- Tex

·
Premium Member
784 Posts
There you have it, straight from Tex Shooter ... in my case, the bedsheet backstop is the same principle as the T-shirts, except done in a fabric with a stronger and lighter weave, and because of it's lightness (read: low inertia) it has a greater ability to absorb and diffuse KE across a wider area. If you combine that with angular redirection, you have a physics double whammy. If the energy were thermal rather than kinetic, the principle would be similar to a heat sink.

It's a bit counter intuitive that a large sheet of very thin free-moving material can diffuse 100% of the KE of a projectile that can shred a paint can, but if you do it properly, it works.

·
Tex-shooter
4,461 Posts
But it does not last as near as long, I have tried it! -- Tex

·
Registered
237 Posts
The tee shirts in my catchbox got rained on and got moldy, so I had to dispose of them, Right now my catchbox has a few old corrugated boxes in it. The steel penetrates enough to stay, but the marbles all bounce right back, but only half way, so it's alright.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.