Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys. My cans aren't lasting long enough and if they don't get torn up, they fall off of my string. I had already started aiming at specific parts of the can, and later through the drinking hole in pop cans... So I threw these together. These little guys are left overs from a box of 20 that I got for a dollar when I first started D&D. I attached them with a rubber band so they would give and bounce when struck and hopefully last for a few hundred hits.

As you can see, they're not very wide, but pretty long. I aim for the body, and sometimes the head if I'm feeling cocky.
Font Rectangle Gadget Art Multimedia

I'm not sure you can see him hanging there... but he's there. He's in front of the right-hand crease in the catch shirt.
Plant Sky Tree Grass House

So far I've managed about a 20% hit rate. Maybe a little worse. But it's SO close most of the time. I swear I shoot just past his arm pit more than I hit him.The best part of this is when he gets hit there is a satisfying "thwack" and he dances around on the rubber band. Then the next shot is on a moving target =D

I really think this will improve my shooting even more!

-Bob

Attachments

· Super Moderator
10,906 Posts
Yep ... those are really cool. I bet they are great practice for hunting. When most folks see game, they fail to focus on the exact spot they want to hit. By shooting at animal shaped targets, you will get used to being more focused.

I have made myself a few targets of various sizes out of leather ... I usually double it and hang it. It also makes a very nice smack when hit. If I do not have much room to shoot, I use a very small target (1 x 1 inch), or when further away, I use a larger target ... up to 3 x 3 inches. I also made a leather rectangel the same dimensions of a soda can, just because everyone seems to shoot soda cans. I do not drink soda or beer from cans (I am bottle fed!), and like you I do not like the fact that the cans get torn to pieces so quickly. Someone on the forum suggested making targets from leather, and I am sold on them!

Cheers ....... Charles

· Premium Member
869 Posts
Bloody good idea charles. I'm going to make a miniture cut out of my x mother in law. That'll surely improve my aim! Hmm second thoughts if I could find a real ugly version of HungaJungaESQ's lizard, that would be the same thing. Nah, probably not real fair on the lizard...
Just being a knob. She's a fine lady...
Seriously though I did see somewhere a mod on a spoon where the person had cut most of the handle off but left enough to create a loop then hung that through a bungee cord or something. They must have been a better shot than me coz it looked like a golf ball with all the dings. Apparently when you hit it, not only does it 'ting' but spins around the cord a few times. Ahhh the satisfaction...

· Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Nice set up Rubber Power. If this little guy breaks, I might give that shot. I kind of miss the sound of the can. Hehe.

Great point Charles. Though I'm not sure I'm going lizard hunting any time soon. xD I just really like having a smaller target to be honest. I'm not sure it matters what it looks like. The fact that I haven't had to adjust or reset it is a huge plus as well.

Rapier, I might use a spoon. Just have to find one no one will miss. I really like that idea, not to mention this lizard has NO signs of being hit. Kind of makes me think I'm going crazy, hehe.

Scrambler, I'm not sure you'd want a video with 5 misses per hit. Maybe when I get better!

Thanks everyone!

-Bob

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.