1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Good luck!

·
Premium Member
2,177 Posts
I will be watching how this one turns out, i bid on one of thoughs on ebay but it never turned up, i was going to use it for the dogs, then turn it into something i could use,
good luck with it, jeff

·
Registered
230 Posts
if im honest i dont think it will work for anything other that lauching bigger object ( sorry i have little imagination)

·
Tex-shooter
4,493 Posts
I see them on Ebay pretty cheap often. I had one but it is gone now. Tex

·
Registered
47 Posts
For my next project I am going to convert one of these into a legitimate slingshot:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001LRJ5RU?ie=UTF8&tag=slingshotcom-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=B001LRJ5RU

I think I am going to get Flatband to make me some extra long .030" Folded Latex bands for the project. Wish me luck!
I have one of these; it shoots ok as it comes, as long as you fit a good set of tubes! The forks are long, and they bend quite a bit, but I have had no disasters, so far.
It will be very interesting to see what ideas you come up with. I hope it works out ok, best of luck!

·
Registered
5 Posts
basically just a huge "starship" slingshot.. if you are worried about the forks bending with more stress, you could weld, or use heat-shrink tube to attach some steel or aluminum bar to the existing fork system for reinforcement. best of luck with the project, I would bet good money it will make ammo scream downrange.

·
Brotherhood Of The Slingshot Nutz
2,153 Posts
Good luck Aaron on your extended fork !! Maybe you could give Flatband the dimensions of the slingshot and your draw length so he could help you with the proper length of the bands.

·
aka. bunnybuster
1,623 Posts
Aaron
These type slingshots work great with small ammo.
In fact, I have a similar wire frame starship that I am modifying at this time.
I am going to narrow the forks, and I am adding a red dot scope to it. Mine has a flat bar near the back, which is perfect for mounting a picatinny rail mount. Right now I have it setup with double .050 latex bands, and it shoots hard, and fast with a 3/8 lead ball. Eventually though, I want to set it up with some black, latex tubing that I have.
I am going to reinforce the bottom end of the forks with a welded 1/4 inch steel bar.
Tom

·
Tex-shooter
4,493 Posts
Aaron, why don't you just make a copy of my Nova Star? It is a great long extended fork slingshot and because of the way the tips are made it enhances band life. Oh and yes it is strong enough to shoot 1/2 inch lead shot if that is what you want to do. Tex

Attachments

·
SSF Founder
5,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Unfortunately, I don't have many wood working tools. It would take a VERY long time to accomplish that with a drill, sawzall, and a drimmel.

·
Tex-shooter
4,493 Posts
I would bet that the local high school wood shop might help for a fee. I know several people that have had things made by high school wood shops. -- Tex

·
Registered
126 Posts
just add a nalgene bottle with water in it to the ball rail and it should act as a stabilizer/dampener if you combine with a few strong cable ties or plumbers clamps it should make the whole armature more rigid

change to flatbands and youre in business

sounds like a cool idea

·
Registered
691 Posts
Aaron, why don't you just make a copy of my Nova Star? It is a great long extended fork slingshot and because of the way the tips are made it enhances band life. Oh and yes it is strong enough to shoot 1/2 inch lead shot if that is what you want to do. Tex
Tex dont you get forkhits with that thing?
; Jaydee

·
Tex-shooter
4,493 Posts
I have shot it maybe 500 times and no fork hits yet. When shooting the bands come off the platform about 10 degrees. I have let others try my extended fork slingshots and most of them want to pull the bands flat against the platform when they first pick them up. Any extended fork over 4 inches starts to lose accuracy, but not too bad. It is very easy to shoot see my YouTube (Slingshotbill's Channel) under NS shooting.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts