Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Grandpa Pete
1,419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been toying with the idea of proposing a shoot off at our local indoor gun range with my buddy, his 9mm pistol against my slingshot at 10 meters. He is just an average shot so, I think I could beat him. What do you think, what are my odds?

Actually what would your odds be?

·
Super Moderator
6,543 Posts
Hey Pete, you might want to send Tex-Shooter a Pm and ask him. I remember a number of years ago Tex challenged the local police department to a shoot. I don't know the out come but I would say why not try. I think it would be a fun challenge. The police( or your Buddy ) would probably get a kick out of it! ( and you would probably win! )

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
At 10m there is a strong possibility the slingshot looses if the pistol shooter knows how to shoot. I wouldn't hesitate to challenge a pistol shooter with my recurve bow, shooting 50 or 70m though.

Reactions: Tag

·
Grandpa Pete
1,419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey Pete, you might want to send Tex-Shooter a Pm and ask him. I remember a number of years ago Tex challenged the local police department to a shoot. I don't know the out come but I would say why not try. I think it would be a fun challenge. The police( or your Buddy ) would probably get a kick out of it! ( and you would probably win! )
I am sure the Police Officer AND Tex Shooter where both better than my friend and I

·
Missing Barns and Telling Yarns
955 Posts
Do it!!! This is low risk / high reward. If you lose, so what? Everyone expects a pistol to outperform a slingshot. If you win, glory and prestige are yours! Plus you can ride your buddy about this for years to come. "Remember that time I out-shot you with a slingshot?".

·
Grandpa Pete
1,419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
At 10m there is a strong possibility the slingshot looses if the pistol shooter knows how to shoot. I wouldn't hesitate to challenge a pistol shooter with my recurve bow, shooting 50 or 70m though.
I need to tell you a story: Years ago, when I was really into archery, the local archery club held a big event with all kinds of contest, some serious and some just for fun. At one station they had a hay bale set out a hundred yards off with a hundred dollar bill attached. You paid five dollars for the opportunity to shoot three arrows and if you hit the bill you got to keep it. I would like to tell you that I hit it but, I did not. I was able to hit the bail once out of my three shots, shooting a 75 LB long bow. Well, the next person up, a rather attractive young woman, nailed it on her first shot.

·
Grandpa Pete
1,419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Do it!!! This is low risk / high reward. If you lose, so what? Everyone expects a pistol to outperform a slingshot. If you win, glory and prestige are yours! Plus you can ride your buddy about this for years to come. "Remember that time I out-shot you with a slingshot?".
I am sure you are right....I have nothing to lose and everything to gain. The guy would feel silly bragging that he beat a guy shooting a slingshot.

GP

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
I need to tell you a story: Years ago, when I was really into archery, the local archery club held a big event with all kinds of contest, some serious and some just for fun. At one station they had a hay bale set out a hundred yards off with a hundred dollar bill attached. You paid five dollars for the opportunity to shoot three arrows and if you hit the bill you got to keep it. I would like to tell you that I hit it but, I did not. I was able to hit the bail once out of my three shots, shooting a 75 LB long bow. Well, the next person up, a rather attractive young woman, nailed it on her first shot.
Well, shooting a longbow at 100 yards is HARDER than hard! I am shooting a full FITA olympic recurve, so at 50-70m I actually have the advantage over the pistol :)

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
By the way, you dont remember the name of the young lady? It wasnt Denise Parker by any chance? ????

·
Neophyte
2,005 Posts
I would challenge him, it is all in good fun anyway. I tried to get one guy I know to go against me with his carry piece. He said he would only do it if he could use his competition gun. It never worked out so we could compete, I could possibly have beaten the tricked out gun as the guy doesn't practice much. May try it anyway some day. :)

·
Grandpa Pete
1,419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
By the way, you dont remember the name of the young lady? It wasnt Denise Parker by any chance?
I have no idea...It was 20 years ago, I am pretty sure it was a lucky shoot or perhaps she had been out there practicing 100 yard shots. I kind of lined up on the bale the raised my bow to about a 45 degree shot and let fly. I don't think you could even see the bill from that distance, just the hay bale. I remember, the good thing was that your arrows came in at such and angle that you could find them in the grass.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
GP - I'm in!

Let's see if we can make this happen! Pick a date and I will travel to your local pistol range for the shoot-off. I might be able to round up a couple more people to join in. Maybe have a small admission/participation fee that could be donated to a worthy cause. Depending, I might even be able to convince the Blue Raja (aka me in costume) to appear. That would make it a celebrity shoot-off!

·
Registered
2,463 Posts
I should go without mentioning that the pistol shooters only get to use one hand. We only have one hand on the slingshot frame. Maybe the competition could be 10 shots at 10 metres followed by 10 shots at 20 metres (or yards).

·
Premium Member
9,605 Posts
You can do this. I know personally that my slingshot groupings are better than my 45 groupings. But I practice alot more with slingshots.
But I don't think he'll go for it cause if he looses, he could never live it down.
Anyway if it happens, give him a good beat down. We're pullin for ya!!

1 - 20 of 35 Posts