Slingshots Forum banner

MY SLINGSHOT FARM

2K views 10 replies 9 participants last post by  CHANEKE_JOSH 
#1 ·
This is were i get all my forks from, there is 1000,s of them, each tree has loads on them, i went for a walk today with 5 of the dogs, and my camera, but couldnt help myself had to bring a few home with me to put in the tea chest i have, ha ha, jeff

there must be 20 or 30 in this one tree

Trust me to leave my slingshot at home, so i could only shoot it with my camera,

few i brought home,

See less See more
#10 ·
I wont go for a walk in the woods without my pocket saw anymore. The woods are very dense here, several times Ive lost a good fork because I didn't have a cutting tool with me and could not find it again. Those forks look like sycamore, quite soft nice and easy to carve I use of lot of it to carve spoons.

Martin.

#11 ·
you have a beautiful farm there!

You are a lucky person to have a place like that close by ... and to have time to go for these walks.

I have to agree with the opinion of Mr. wvbob. the chances of cracking the wood during the drying process will be less if you cut the forks a bit longer.

I usually cut to 10 "around the fork ... immediately after I apply a little bit of white glue on the ends to prevent a quick dry and splitting at the ends (a recipe from my mentor)

after that you can leave your forks in a dry, shaded and ventilated place to dry, for a period of 15-20 days

after that I put them five days in the trunk of my car ... From that point, you can have a perfectly dry and workable wood.

There are woods which break more easily than others, for these cases I strongly recommend making several constrictor knots at the ends.

I dont know if this will be the most correct way to do it, but it works for me.

cheers mates!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.