Slingshots Forum banner

My 'soup can' test

2K views 15 replies 6 participants last post by  josephlys 
#1 · (Edited)
Penetration test. I filled 2 cans with water and shot at them from 5 yards.
Both were sent flying back, with one side penetrated and a dent on the other side.

Precise gold 0.90mm (20-12) 6.25" active
Draw is 29" anchor at nose
Ammo is lead ball sinker 10.5mm (7.1g)(110gr)
Velocity from chrony is around +/-180 fps
Energy around (7.5 fpe -8 fpe)

Textile Sleeve Wood Sports gear Sock
Tin Drinkware Dishware Tableware Adhesive
Food Ingredient Fluid Cuisine Staple food

See less See more
#4 ·
#13 ·
I sprained my finger so I've gone with lighter bands & a lighter draw. From 8 fpe down to around 6.5 fpe. Still using 10.5mm lead (7.1g).
Here 6.5 fpe on a soup can filled with water @ 5 yards. Still penetrated 1 side and made a dimple on the other. Made a tiny clean hole, when filled with water.
Oh and the can wasn't braced, same as last time.
Textile Finger Publication Font Book
Textile Finger Publication Font Book
Glasses Hand Sunglasses Camera lens Vision care
Automotive lighting Automotive design Hood Rim Gas

#14 · (Edited)
Then few more test with empty cans. Braced and not braced.
Empty can 'Braced' against thick blankets behind it. Result was a tearing like effect compared to a clean puncture. Tested twice same effect on empty braced cans. Kitchen utensil Jewellery Automotive lighting Audio equipment Electronic device

Empty 'unbraced' soup can, different result. No penetration but a large dent and it was sent flying back.
Next, filled the can with water and tried the base of the can where I suppose it's structurally stronger. Lead managed to puncture 1 side again with a small clean hole.
Circuit component Finger Electrical wiring Engineering Font

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.