Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
"500+fps Speed demon"
668 Posts
So i read Joergs post on the stickshot followed by watching the video, and thought it would be the perfect modification to apply to my flechette shooter!!

I seen joerg was using 2 layers theraband gold on his and thought if a conventional slingshot can handle double that i should add 4 layers!! And it worked great, with the extra force it makes the stickshot automatically flip on release making it safer to shoot controllably ( in my eyes anyhow )

Here are the pics:

The bands are cut 22cm and tapered 2.5cm-2cm.

I tried different ammo, from 8,9 and 15mm steel, .38-50 lead. My finds were that it shoots heavier shot better (15mm steel and .44 and .50 lead) being the preffered ammo!!

Here is a short video of it shooting:

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
Yes, heavier bands work even better.

Great job!

It is really true, the fork is obsolete. Other than for traditional reasons, we no longer have to look for forked sticks. Just straight sticks it is.

·
Premium Member
7,905 Posts
Shooting over your motorcycle = very brave!
I know the deal, I shoot in the garage too, but fortunately mine is wide enough I can park the bike outside the path of the ball.
Even so I had a richochet break my mirror last month. Oops
. Now the V-Strom is throughly covered and armored while parked. It's not like I'm going to stop shooting!

·
Premium Member
3,427 Posts
I am thrilled that the community would come up with a new form factor. It reminds me of the S.A. stick with a spring called the slingbow or something.

Anyway, it's inspirational and this example is particularly well made.

Personally, while I have no doubt that it works well, I'll still stick to forks. It seems to me that if they still offer an advantage, I'll take it. Mind you, this innovation may well work in legal jurisdictions that have banned Y-shaped forks.

·
Registered
280 Posts
I am thrilled that the community would come up with a new form factor. It reminds me of the S.A. stick with a spring called the slingbow or something.

Anyway, it's inspirational and this example is particularly well made.

Personally, while I have no doubt that it works well, I'll still stick to forks. It seems to me that if they still offer an advantage, I'll take it. Mind you, this innovation may well work in legal jurisdictions that have banned Y-shaped forks.
A little Devil's Advocate:

You are very analytical and I really appreciate that.

Please analyze/list the reasons why you choose to stick with a fork?

Before you do so, consider 2 types of stickshots; single band with a rope loop, double band as is, taken from a fork SS.

(See my photo of my concept where the rubber is drawn parallel to a long stick.)

·
Premium Member
3,427 Posts
Inthis case, I don't offer any experimental data, nor do I have the high speed camera that would show whether it's true. My statement is purely an intuitive presumption and isn't intended as a put down, nor advice.

·
"500+fps Speed demon"
668 Posts
Thanks for the comments guys!! Im still experimenting with the stickshot, the vid was the simply to answer a question i asked myself "is it consistantly accurate and deliver enough force to kill small game?" Answer: yes most definately!!

Shooting over your motorcycle = very brave!
I know the deal, I shoot in the garage too, but fortunately mine is wide enough I can park the bike outside the path of the ball.
Even so I had a richochet break my mirror last month. Oops
. Now the V-Strom is throughly covered and armored while parked. It's not like I'm going to stop shooting!
Im fairly confident in my shooting exploits, but would hate to put a ding in my XJ!! I think i will be putting a tough cover over it in future.

·
Premium Member
7,905 Posts
Im fairly confident in my shooting exploits, but would hate to put a ding in my XJ!! I think i will be putting a tough cover over it in future.
I was wondering what kind of bike that was. I thought it might have been a Honda Magna but the instruments didn't look quite right. My "incident" wasn't for lack of shooting skill. I had a band tear and it sent the shot errant into the garage door where it bounced back and smashed the mirror.
I would definately cover it, you never know!

·
Premium Member
4,186 Posts
Let me interject here.
Shooting with an inline pull stick is to easy... even easier than archery, which is to easy to master as well.
It is not difficult to develop a weapon that is far more powerful, a lot more accurate and actually easier to make than a forked slingshot.

I don't do this hobby because it's easy to shoot a slingshot with great accuracy... nor do I do it to efficiently collect game as in a survival situation. If that's what I wanted to do, I'd at the very least use a wrist braced (cheater) slingshot, far more accurate and capable of being far more powerful... or I'd do away with the fork altogether and make a simple inline stick shooter that uses two bands, has two handles, one front and one in back for a good hold, and has a simple block (split so it can shoot arrows too) and push up trigger mechanism like Jeorg's.

The underlying reason I do what I do is because there is some real skill involved in making and shooting the perfect forked slingshot. There's actually a fair amount of skill and self control involved in being a good maker and an accurate shooter. It's a challenge that helps bring calmness to my overly active mind.... and that makes me happy.
In fact at some point I'd like to enter tournaments and shoot a small pocket sized slingshot, like my Rangers for example, against all comers... big frames, wristbraced.. the lot.

This hobby, in the way I pursue it, is not for everyone. Some will push the limits in directions I don't really wish to go (right now)... this is not a problem nor is it a bad thing... innovation is part of being human.
That I choose to limit my particularly innovative mind to designing, developing, making and shooting forked slingshots is not a bad thing either though.

Of course, looking at my own history... I tend to get bored with a thing after a while. Who knows, in the future I might join in on the fun and help to design and make the ultimate survival weapon/tool... just not right now!

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
Well, for me, I just want to keep my range as wide as at all possible.

I want to make beautiful slingshots, powerful slingshots, arrow shooting slingshots, small, big, naturals, multiplex, boardcuts and and and.

Of course x-bows, cannons, the whole thing.

The stickshot is just another variation, a fascinating one as it is sooo simple, and for me it works great. Does it mean I will stop making forked slingshots? Of course not.

It is the variation range that fascinates me. In that regard slingshots are far more versatile than bows.

·
Registered
280 Posts
"Shooting with an inline pull stick is to easy... even easier than archery, which is to easy to master as well.
It is not difficult to develop a weapon that is far more powerful, a lot more accurate and actually easier to make than a forked slingshot."

That is a mouthful!

New name; "Inline Pull Stick", don't you love it?

·
Member, Brotherhood of Slingshot Nutz
11,147 Posts
John Boy, that looks mad cool! And your shootin' is impressive too.
I'm thinking, "What a survival tool that could be. It would only take a minute to attach the rubber to a properly designed knife handle, something like your stick.
All this is just too cool.

A shot of Jameson's to ya!

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.