Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'm new around here. I'm from NYS, and have been a shooter of numerous things as far back as I can remember.

I had been going a little stir crazy since my wife and I have been living like hermits since last March.

With the cost of ammo so high we haven't been to the range in forever, and It's illegal for me to even shoot my bow in my fully enclosed yard where my wife and I live.

So in early February I decided to give slingshots a try and found this forum.

I bought a torque and a scout from simpleshot, and while they are fine, I wanted to build my own as I like to DIY. Growing up my dad had a saying,"in this world you can either be wealthy or handy, and we ain't wealthy." So, it was kind of ingrained in my from childhood.

I tried a few designs in cheap plywood just to get the feel of it, and then picked up a sheet of 1/2 black HDPE. You can see my first efforts based on templates from this forum in the attached pics. Nothing exciting, but they worked well.

I've been known to make a knife or two, and I had a piece of carbon fiber laying around, so I took a swing at a PFS (pic attached) that I set up butterfly. Again, nothing exciting, but it works.

Then I came across Harry's design for the Pinky Knuckle, and decided to give that a little more effort. While I think I like big forks, I wanted to try it a bit smaller, so I shrunk it down to 95%. Not sure if it was the shrink or my baseball mitt hands, but it turned into a ring finger knuckle rather than a pinky knuckle.

Anyhow, the pics of that build should be attached. I used thin venom green g10 for the core, sandwiched between two pieces of white vulcanized knife handle liner, the front is black paper micarta, and for the back the handle is a piece of green/black dymondwood, and the forks are black canvas micarta. Pins are nickel silver. Bands are tapered TBG cut by myself with a cheapy pouch I took off of a set of amazon flatbands. I've chucked steel in 3/8, 7/16 and 1/2 through it, as well as lead in 00, 0000 and .40 musket balls. It seems to like the 7/16 steel and the 0000 buck the best.

I haven't done a final sanding or finishing yet as I couldn't stop myself from wanting to shoot it immediately.

I know it's got plenty of imperfections, but I'm satisfied with it considering my lack of experience. My big takeaway is that it is incredibly difficult to keep things symmetrical. Incredibly difficult.

I hope you all like what I've built, and I hope Harry is pleased with my take on his design. A full sized version with a few minor tweaks is on my drawing board for some point in the future.

Attachments

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thank you all for the kind words.

I picked up a variety of g10, aluminum stock and spectrawood, in addition to printing out a bunch of templates. Now I just have to find the time to bring them all together. I'll gladly post them up as go along.

Currently in process is an aluminum core Artemis, that, I think, is going to end up with some natural jade g10, and some green and black g10. We'll see.

Thank you all again.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Wow! Great job on all of your builds. The Picky Knuckle looks amazing, you took it much further than I did. I really like the mix of materials, the micarta seamed to the wood with the aluminum dividers is brilliant.

I choke up pretty far on my grip to get the most leverage I can, the web between my index finger and thumb just covers the apex of the arch on the picky knuckle. I did just try it with my ring finger and that feels pretty good too. I'll try shooting it that way tomorrow.

Thanks for sharing, I really enjoyed seeing it.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Wow! Great job on all of your builds. The Picky Knuckle looks amazing, you took it much further than I did. I really like the mix of materials, the micarta seamed to the wood with the aluminum dividers is brilliant.

I choke up pretty far on my grip to get the most leverage I can, the web between my index finger and thumb just covers the apex of the arch on the picky knuckle. I did just try it with my ring finger and that feels pretty good too. I'll try shooting it that way tomorrow.

Thanks for sharing, I really enjoyed seeing it.
The seam between the micarta and the wood is actually more of the white vulcanized handle liner that sandwiches the g10 "core".

Interestingly enough, I had originally planned to use aluminum sheet metal instead of the white vulcanized. I decided against it at the last minute because I was concerned that I might not be able to get the sheet metal to sand down flush enough to be consistent with the micarta or the wood. I had that problem when I did something similar with a knife handle once. I've had better luck using copper flat bar for those kinds of accents.

I'm really glad you like it. A thumbs up from the original creator is the highest praise that I could get.

·
Registered
3,376 Posts
Westchester currently, so it would depend on who you asked if they considered that upstate or down. But I'm originally from Putnam. I bowhunt out on Long Island occasionally, and while my wife is from the Albany area, she has family in Mineola.
Very cool! I can almost throw a rock from my house and land it on Franklin Ave! Be great if we could meet up sometime!

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Westchester currently, so it would depend on who you asked if they considered that upstate or down. But I'm originally from Putnam. I bowhunt out on Long Island occasionally, and while my wife is from the Albany area, she has family in Mineola.
Very cool! I can almost throw a rock from my house and land it on Franklin Ave! Be great if we could meet up sometime!
Sure thing. I likely won't be out that way before deer season opens up, but I usually only hunt in the morning and I'm out by 10am. so that leaves plenty of the day. I'll likely have a bunch more slings put together by then as well.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.