Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I would like to present my vacuum kit that I use to "stabilize" smaller forks. I used quotation marks because I use only BLO as a stabilization medium and I am not sure if this presents true stabilization medium. I learned on Internet that Cactus Oil is like a better way to do it, but is so expensive I do not even think of it.

So, this is a jar I bought for some 4$ in a supermarket; it is used probably for pickling vegetables and like. If there were bigger one I would buy it, but this one is also ok. I bought the valve and in the glass shop they drilled a hole in the jar and fixed the valve in by screwing the two parts together and using some sylicon which they normaly use when they make aquariums:

Tableware Drinkware Dishware Table Serveware

Then I need to make a container which will contain BLO and the frame dipped into it, only in order not to mess up the jar and wash it each time. So, for this I first make a wire frame and then wrap aluminum foil around it and finaly fit in a plastic bag that is used for freezing the food:

Textile Wood Rectangle Creative arts Pattern

Food Aluminium foil Ingredient Cutting mat Dish

Finaly I pour some BLO into it, put the fork and stuck it down to the bottom in order to be completely soaked and put it into the jar:

Food Packing materials Cuisine Dish Office ruler

Liquid Bottle Solution Green Drinkware

Ten, after closing the lid I attach my manual vacuum pump which is normaly used in car repair shops where they use it for taking out breaking oil from the system; I bought it on the Internet for some 18$ if I remember well:

Tool Toolbox Bumper Set tool Automotive exterior

Then I pump out the air from the jar - I need very short time to reach some 20-30 of the vacuum, but reaching 50% takes me long time and more than that I never reached. I want to say that the level of the vacuum (if I can use this expression) is progressively harder to reach.

At some point air bubbles start to leave the wood and soon the whole surface is full of bubbles, like a foam or so making the fork invisible:

Fluid Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Gauge Measuring instrument

This lasts some 10-15 minutes, depending on the wood, and then I wait for some 5-10 minutes again for the bubbles to burst, to disapear making the fork visible again:

Drinkware Liquid White Mason jar Fluid

Then, ther is a button on this pump which you just press and the air comes back in, bringin pressure which makes the fork to slurp some BLO deep inside.

These pictures are "before and after" of a fork I treated this way (actualy it was presented here: http://slingshotforum.com/topic/44171-a-cherry-plum-for-me/?hl=vacuum, making it heavier for some 9 grams ih I remember well. Since this was a healthy cherry-plum wood it did not slurp much but a semi-rotten, spalted one etc. might get much more:

Wood Finger Nail Material property Hardwood

I know that the vacuum pump can be made out of refridgerator compressor, however, I do not have electricity in my garage. Still, if someone knows another way to make a more powerful manual pump, I am listening.

I hope you enjoyed,

cheers,

jazz

Attachments

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Odličan turtorijal, hvala :)

Reactions: Tag

·
Registered
2,121 Posts
Very very nice!

However, I would be apprehensive or at the least very very careful about applying a higher level vacuum.
If too much vacuum is applied, the mason jar will implode, leaving you with oil and glass all over the place.

Your system seems to work fine as it is, and if it ain't broke, why fix it?

Thank you very much for sharing, and I have to agree with you'llshootyereyeout... This is definitely going on my to do list!

·
Registered
676 Posts
Hey, thanks! Useful info here!

·
Super Moderator
4,094 Posts
We used a one gallon pickle jar (at work) to observe water boiling off in a vacuum. I brazed a fitting into the metal lid. I don't recall what level of vacuum we drew in drown to. Most forks would fit in it.

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
I've worked with vacuum chambers for years in the jewelry fabricating business and believe me you have to find a recipient...i.e. a "chamber" that won't collapse in an implosion when significant vacuum is applied inside it. A thick round jar is best, other than round and it could implode easier than a round of the same glass type and thickness. In a high vacuum there is over 14 lbs per sq. inch pushing IN on the chamber. Every 10 square inches of surface area, which isn't much, only a square about 3.15 inches, has 140+ lbs of atmospheric pressure at sea level trying to implode it.

An imploded glass jar would send glass bits flying everywhere even though it is an implosion and not an explosion, and a huge mess regarding the BLO scattering to the winds too.

Making a chamber from an acrylic or Lexan (polycarbonate) tube 1/8 inch thick and closing off the ends with, say, heavy gauge PVC pipe end caps would be my choice but the canning jar is good and strong you selected and drilled a hole in (diamond bit?). I'm really impressed with the small inexpensive vacuum punp, sob, wish I could get one here in bananaville.

If you added wood stain to the BLO bath you'd have a stain that has penetrated and won't wear though...it would be in the wood.

I think your medium of BLO is excellent in that it polymerizes in time or as Bill Hays states it crystalizes inside the wood...which in effect is right, it solidifies. Oxygen will change it chemically into a plastic like solid in time.

Your combination of vacuum and BLO in my humble opinion is an excellent choice for preserving yet strengtheniing wood and bringing out color all in an easily repairable durable finish. Some mix it with turpentine and bee's wax..the turpentine thins it for better penetration, bee's wax makes it more resistant to water or humidity and adds a sheen if buffed when it's all polymerized and hard, and BLO explains itself.

You really did it well by letting the air bubbles dissipate before you released the vacuum to assure 100% penetration by only BLO and not aspirating the same air you took out.

I'm quite impressed with your method!!!! This is a very good post you made. Thanks for taking the time to share.

·
Registered
266 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Man, this looks like a nice project. I'm thinking of making/buying a vacuum jar or other some container so I can stabilise wood, and also make stabilised pine cone blanks, banksia pod blanks, things like that. I have no shortage of the pine cones or banksia pods, so I may as well :)

·
Registered
3,361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hi all,

Thank you for your support, this is what makes me going and sharing.

Special thanks to Chuck Daehler who realy tooks some time to give us all some good information!

Those who said will go after making their own vaccum jar (chamber) - good luck and please show us what you came up with.

cheers,

jazz

1 - 17 of 17 Posts