Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After seeing JoergS's inspirational "how-to" video on youtube, I decided to take the plunge and make my first boardcut slinshot.
I'm very new to this hobby, and currently own a Trumark wristbraced slingshot as well as a general Dankung slingshot which have both been purchased only this year. This has been a great hobby so far and I have learned, and still am learning, tremendously from the experts in this forum.
Since I'm still a student, I can't really afford power tools. Hence, this boardcut was made entirely from manual tools and only 3 tools to be precise(a coping saw and 2 differently sized files) which were purchased from the local $2 store. Here are some pics of my progress!

Cutting the shape out from the board.

The poorly cut design with many uneven edges.

After being filed down.

Once i get it sanded, i planned to get it stained using coffee since I don't want to have to spend money on commercial wood-dyes. Then I plan to give it several coats of lacquer for some shine and protection.

I would like to thank JoergS for being so generous in sharing his slingshot phoenix design. I would also like to thank Flatband for giving me very sound advice earlier this year when I was contemplating getting my first slingshot. Last but definitely not least, I would like to express my appreciation to the moderators and users of this forum which has been a great source of information for me.

Do keep the comments and criticism coming!!!

·
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
1,426 Posts
Great work for a first build! Was it hard cutting it out with a coping saw?

·
Member, Brotherhood of Slingshot Nutz
11,245 Posts
Nice one. What bands do you plan to use on it? Like to see it banded up and ready to shoot.

. . . BTW, That IS multiplex, right? If not, I wouldn't go any further.

·
Registered
525 Posts
very nice!
i made one with just a hand saw but now i have a coping saw and they are soo easy to use.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Nice one. What bands do you plan to use on it? Like to see it banded up and ready to shoot.

. . . BTW, That IS multiplex, right? If not, I wouldn't go any further.
I plan to band them up with linatex. I'm not sure what wood that is, the board is actually a hardwood chopping board

Is that going to post a problem in future? It would suck if i went through all that trouble for nothing

·
Registered
3,147 Posts
That design really needs to be made of multiplex (a type of plywood) otherwise you have a very good risk of breaking. The grain of the wood in the narrow forks runs across the forks instead of along them this can break once any pressure is put on them.Unless it is plywood because in each layer the grain will run in different directions.

·
Member, Brotherhood of Slingshot Nutz
11,245 Posts
Seriously. Don't use that slingshot. I will almost surely break. The grain is running "across" the forks instead of "along" them.

. . . all I can do is tell you.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for the warning and advice guys. I decided I'll just finish up the slingshot and just keep it as a momento. Well, at least I learnt something from this experience
Pics of the finish product coming soon!!

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
Well, what you can do is to make your own multiplex.

Buy a sheet of thin steel, for example used for car body repairs.

Cut the steel out so it covers the frame parts that are not rounded. Make one for the front and one for the back.

Then roughen the surface of the slingshot with sand paper.

Smear epoxy glue to both sides.

Then put everything together, don't put too much pressure on so the glue is not entirely pushed out.

When the glue is dry, take the file and sandpaper to make everything smooth.

This will create a very solid and unusual frame.

Jörg

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Finally managed to take some time off my studying to complete my first boardcut slingshot.

After cutting in the grooves and staining it over night with coffee.

Applied several coats of varnish for protection and a glossy finish.

Although it has many flaws and is a far cry from the works of art that other skilled craftsmen in this forum are capable of producing, still love it

What do you guys think? Any advice/comments for future boardcuts?

Cheers,
Tim

·
Registered
3,147 Posts
I think you did great, just make sure you use the right materials for your frames and keep making them.

·
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
1,426 Posts
Impressive work, especially considering the tools you have at your disposal!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts