Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Mojave Mo
4,840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There are quite a few of these trees in the neighborhood. It is very decorative with multiple clean trunks coming straight from the ground. You can see the small purplish berries or nuts (haven't split one incase it is deadly!) which indicates that it would be a capable hard or semi-hardwood product.
I've finally gotten past making a frame out of anything I can find. However, this piece of nature speaks to me!
What kind of tree is it? Don't tell me to ask Siri, Alexa, Bixby, or Google unless you want to see me weep. MM
ca80d3035750ae4b00ff1d2bcccb9a1b.jpg
9e2b1643b69d9d071e50cc56e5655c02.jpg

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,712 Posts
Yup, it's a Crepe. The bark is the give away. I have one in my front yard, unfortunately right beside the driveway. They weep sap or something and really gunk up a car. Those berries are chambered seed pods. They flower very prettily but you end up with blossoms that stick to everything. The wood is very strong but bland looking.

·
Mojave Mo
4,840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yup, it's a Crepe. The bark is the give away. I have one in my front yard, unfortunately right beside the driveway. They weep sap or something and really gunk up a car. Those berries are chambered seed pods. They flower very prettily but you end up with blossoms that stick to everything. The wood is very strong but bland looking.
Alrighty. I went out with a girl named Crepe Myrtle when I was in Highschool, and she was also bland. I'm going to refocus on my namesake and keep seeking the perfect Oak Tree (my last name is Oakie, which used to be Aoki) which is strong like ox! Incidentally the name Aoki translates into 'blue-green tree' in case you were wondering.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Amateur
2,571 Posts
Yep, a crepe myrtle. I've used it to build some slingshots before, very strong and actually looks half descent when roasted in the oven MW style. An introduced species (from china I believe) and now extremely common in the southern states.

·
Super Moderator
1,079 Posts
Lot more excitement on the exterior for sure. It does show a little grain with some stain, but still not overly exciting.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts