Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
500 Club
578 Posts
Hey Everyone

Andy (akmslingshots) and myself had decided to have a little competition between the two of us on who can make the best natural fork in a given amount of time. We decided to open it to whoever wants to join in.

Challenge
Who can make the best natural in a given amount of time, only using hand tools.

Rules
No power tools, Only hand tools can be used (sandpaper etc is allowed)
There must be a before and after picture of the natural.
It must have a sort of oil/finish on it even if it is wet.
Pictures must be posted before 12pm (22nd July) GMT.
No cheating!!

The competition starts 12pm 21st July and ends 12pm 22nd July. *GMT*

Remember there will be no prize given as this is just for fun! The winner will be decided by a vote that will take place after it has finished.

If possible the fork must be harvest after reading this post, but only if you can

Cheers Luke

·
Premium Member
5,252 Posts
sounds fun, it will be interesting to see what people can come up with in that time frame, the photos should have time stamps!

·
Premium Member
1,798 Posts
sounds fun, it will be interesting to see what people can come up with in that time frame, the photos should have time stamps!
I thought that, would not have a clue how to do it on my camera lol!! there is also an element of speed between Luke and I, its also see who is the quickest

·
Premium Member
5,252 Posts
I thought that, would not have a clue how to do it on my camera lol!! there is also an element of speed between Luke and I, its also see who is the quickest

[/quote]it should be in the menu date/time

fastest isnt always bestest! not for me anyway hehe

·
Registered
92 Posts
:[ I have to mow during most of that time period, but if other people are allowed to join, I'll try to get one done.

·
500 Club
578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
hmm would happen when im not home
its just for fun mckee, we can always do another

[/quote]

Quite a few people have now told me they would love to do it but can't get hold of a fork in this time, I explained how it was only going to be between me and akmslingshots but we decided to make it public. I was thinking that we could hold another sometime soon with a few days notice, maybe even a week, allowing more people to get involved.

Cheers Luke

·
Premium Member
1,798 Posts
hmm would happen when im not home
its just for fun mckee, we can always do another

[/quote]

Quite a few people have now told me they would love to do it but can't get hold of a fork in this time, I explained how it was only going to be between me and akmslingshots but we decided to make it public. I was thinking that we could hold another sometime soon with a few days notice, maybe even a week, allowing more people to get involved.

Cheers Luke
[/quote]

There seems to be a lot more interest than we first thought. I say we postpone it for a set date and let more people in on it?

·
500 Club
578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
That would probably be a good idea, i know a few people that are wanting to compete in this one today but i'm sure more people would love to join in. We will have to discuss a date to start the competition.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Humbly Submitted

This fork is from an orange tree that was damaged in a storm a few weeks ago. I would have tried to find a fork this morning, but wandering around in the desert in 110 degree heat is not my idea of fun. Come winter, I will be keeping an eye out for usable tree forks. The only tools used were a saw to cut the ends to length, the knife shown in the picture and a piece of sandpaper. This morning, the fork was just as seen in the first picture. I used the spine of the knife blade to scrape the bark. Next, a few trips through the microwave to dry it. Saw the three ends to length. A little sanding and it's ready to finish. I used two thin coats of spar varnish rubbed on with my fingertip. It took about an hour and a half total working time. Most of today it hung to let the varnish dry. Then I snapped the last pictures. It's not in the same class as some of the work I've seen here on the forum but it fits my hand very well and I think I'll have fun with it.

1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg 5.jpg

Attachments

·
500 Club
578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
thanks for sharing dkdude!

We are moving the official competition to another time soon, but thank-you for participating!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts