Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
500 Club
578 Posts
Hey Everyone

Andy (akmslingshots) and myself had decided to have a little competition between the two of us on who can make the best natural fork in a given amount of time. We decided to open it to whoever wants to join in.

Challenge
Who can make the best natural in a given amount of time, only using hand tools.

Rules
No power tools, Only hand tools can be used (sandpaper etc is allowed)
There must be a before and after picture of the natural.
It must have a sort of oil/finish on it even if it is wet.
Pictures must be posted before 12pm (22nd July) GMT.
No cheating!!

The competition starts 12pm 21st July and ends 12pm 22nd July. *GMT*

Remember there will be no prize given as this is just for fun! The winner will be decided by a vote that will take place after it has finished.

If possible the fork must be harvest after reading this post, but only if you can

Cheers Luke

·
Premium Member
5,252 Posts
sounds fun, it will be interesting to see what people can come up with in that time frame, the photos should have time stamps!

·
Premium Member
1,798 Posts
sounds fun, it will be interesting to see what people can come up with in that time frame, the photos should have time stamps!
I thought that, would not have a clue how to do it on my camera lol!! there is also an element of speed between Luke and I, its also see who is the quickest

·
Premium Member
5,252 Posts
I thought that, would not have a clue how to do it on my camera lol!! there is also an element of speed between Luke and I, its also see who is the quickest

[/quote]it should be in the menu date/time

fastest isnt always bestest! not for me anyway hehe

·
Registered
92 Posts
:[ I have to mow during most of that time period, but if other people are allowed to join, I'll try to get one done.

·
500 Club
578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
hmm would happen when im not home
its just for fun mckee, we can always do another

[/quote]

Quite a few people have now told me they would love to do it but can't get hold of a fork in this time, I explained how it was only going to be between me and akmslingshots but we decided to make it public. I was thinking that we could hold another sometime soon with a few days notice, maybe even a week, allowing more people to get involved.

Cheers Luke

·
Premium Member
1,798 Posts
hmm would happen when im not home
its just for fun mckee, we can always do another

[/quote]

Quite a few people have now told me they would love to do it but can't get hold of a fork in this time, I explained how it was only going to be between me and akmslingshots but we decided to make it public. I was thinking that we could hold another sometime soon with a few days notice, maybe even a week, allowing more people to get involved.

Cheers Luke
[/quote]

There seems to be a lot more interest than we first thought. I say we postpone it for a set date and let more people in on it?

·
500 Club
578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
That would probably be a good idea, i know a few people that are wanting to compete in this one today but i'm sure more people would love to join in. We will have to discuss a date to start the competition.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Humbly Submitted

This fork is from an orange tree that was damaged in a storm a few weeks ago. I would have tried to find a fork this morning, but wandering around in the desert in 110 degree heat is not my idea of fun. Come winter, I will be keeping an eye out for usable tree forks. The only tools used were a saw to cut the ends to length, the knife shown in the picture and a piece of sandpaper. This morning, the fork was just as seen in the first picture. I used the spine of the knife blade to scrape the bark. Next, a few trips through the microwave to dry it. Saw the three ends to length. A little sanding and it's ready to finish. I used two thin coats of spar varnish rubbed on with my fingertip. It took about an hour and a half total working time. Most of today it hung to let the varnish dry. Then I snapped the last pictures. It's not in the same class as some of the work I've seen here on the forum but it fits my hand very well and I think I'll have fun with it.

Hand Arm Natural material Human body Wood Wood Natural material Knife Terrestrial plant Vegetable Natural material Wood Animal product Writing implement Office supplies Natural material Wood Gesture Metal Electric blue Gesture Wood Artifact Natural material Art

Attachments

·
500 Club
578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
thanks for sharing dkdude!

We are moving the official competition to another time soon, but thank-you for participating!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts