Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First post here, though I've followed the forum for a while. I had to clear the yard of a bunch of Mayday trees last summer, and while working I saved out 10 or 12 forks, which are all dry now. I thought I'd start shooting again after a 40 year break. The plan is to do chained rubber band elastics and scraps of leather for the pouch. Not sure whether to do OTT or TTF.
b7e6d3a4f3ed376de461ccdd4ff43673.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
935 Posts
Looks good so far. The forks are a little long for my taste, when longer there is more torque against your wrist. Looking forward to seeing it finished. Welcome back to the slinging life style.

never settle for common (N.S.F.C)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. I'll cut the forks down for the finished slingshot. I'd like enough clearance to avoid hand strikes (which I remember from the Wrist-Rocket I used to shoot) but low enough to make it easy to control. Those forks are about 4 inches currently. I was thinking about 2 inches where the pouch passes over the base of the fork.

The wife asked whether this was going to replace my Radio Control addiction, and I told her these two hobbies could be pursued in parallel.

·
SLING-N-SHOT
5,528 Posts
Welcome back and looking good so far, but yeah, I agree with @NSFC with the forks being a bit too long as you will have a lot of unnecessary wrist torque......but, it is your fork to build how you see fit, but if you leave them that long, please, at least put a lanyard on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,823 Posts
You can always choke up on the forks to alleviate the wrist torque...but I personally like the look of a 1:3 fork ratio...so the fork height from the waist is 1/3 of the overall fork length...approximately...
Have fun with the build...cant wait to see the finished product
MW

Sent from my SM-A705W using Tapatalk

·
Ray Rowden
3,089 Posts
Welcome!

Long forks, and handles, give you places to hold/clamp while working on a natural fork.

You're off to a great start.

Heck, start off OTT, cut the tips perpendicular to the fork. It makes for a very secure, confidence building attachment. With all those forks queued up, you can try a different attachment with each build.

Chained office rubber is a good place to start.

Leather scraps make good pouches if they are good and strong. Rectangles about 2-1/2 by 5/8 inches or so should get you started.

Enjoy!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.