Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Resigned
1,825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i went to my kitchen at work today and a fellow coworker had left for me a fork of apple wood. its a bit thin and still very fresh.. but strong as heck it seems..
one fork is a bit over 3/4 of an inch thick and the other is a tiny bit under 3/4 of an inch... is that too thin?

then on a side not i found a fork walking home from work.. i dont know what it is but one fork is an inch and a half and the other is an inch.. feels dry.. feels strong..

i cut the forks down to a reasonable starting point before i start to sculpt them a bit.

i hope the apple is strong enough.. its thin but feels very nice in the hand.

here is a webcam pic ( i just bought a better cam today, but i m too lazy to do all that right now)

the one on the left is the apple.. the middle is the one i found, and the one on the end is the tip of one of the forks that i cut off of the thicker middle one.. to me, i see a natural PFS lurking in there.. it has a very tiny space between the forks..
anyways.,. i got natural fever..

Attachments

·
Premium Member
8,097 Posts
The apple looks like a great fork in the making. Looks like the one in my avatar, actually. Maybe that's why I like it.
Apple is strong and has a nice color when finished, just make sure it's dried all the way.

·
Resigned
1,825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The apple looks like a great fork in the making. Looks like the one in my avatar, actually. Maybe that's why I like it.
Apple is strong and has a nice color when finished, just make sure it's dried all the way.
wait to dry it before i work on it or shoot it or both?
i have never done this before. and i have heard of drying in microwaves but not totally sure why.. i do not own a microwave. i am a cook. lol

·
Premium Member
524 Posts
the middle one is sweet man.. you seem to be doing so much slingshot work lately it's great

http://slingshotforum.com/topic/9946-drying-naturals
in this thread wingshooter said:

Use a gallon size freezer bag. Put the slingshot into the bag and place it in the microwave with the bag sealed. I set the microwave for one minute but just watch the bag when it swells up shut the microwave off should only take 30 seconds or so. You do not want to leave it until the bag breaks. Carefully remove the bag and let the steam out. Be careful when you open the plastic bag the steam is very hot. Remove the slingshot and place it in a paper towell let it cool about five minutes. Turn the frezzer bag inside out and dry. After five minutes repeat the process. I have a grain scale so I can moniter the water loss by weight. If you do not have a scale I would say reapeat 3 to 4 times. You don't want it to dry. I have done 4 green forks this way and none of them have drying cracks in them.

and check out gamekeeper john's video
if you want =D have fun!!

·
Resigned
1,825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks man. i think i am going to have to do it in the oven. no microwave.. john said in the video to let it dry on the radiator. a low heat bake in the oven will do the same... just wrap in tinfoil.. sounds good to me.
i love that idea of bending the forks for the shape.. going to go saw a fork down on the way into work tomorrow.. probably more than one.

·
Registered
256 Posts
I'm pretty sure you will love naturals. At the start I was interested more in multiplex frames, but since i did my first natural, I've been looking for nice wood all the time.
The way you do things, you'll probably have 20 lying in your apartment in all stages of production...
Have fun with those and don't worry about the strength of the forks. If you can't break it with both hands, you won't break it pulling the bands.

·
Resigned
1,825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
i am going to harvets some forks before work..
i will have a bunch in no time.
i gotta throw out all the crappier wood i have been collecting this month that probably will never get used anymore.

·
Resigned
1,825 Posts
i was going through my new forks to check them out again and there is one fork that seems heavier that all the others .. and is it not the biggest one.. i do not know what any of the wood is, to be honest but my girlfriend said the heavy one was "ironwood"
i really wouldnt know.. if i took pics or recorded a high quality video, would anyone be able to identify my different forks? i kept all of the bark on to help with identification (if that helps)

EDIT:

i thought about grabbing leaves but i grabbed so many forks and i only had my sidebag... and i had to work 8 hours afterwards... next time i will think to take leaves with forks and take them straight home.

·
Premium Member
4,900 Posts
I can see some great shooters in the making!

·
Resigned
1,825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
i never thought my kitchen skills would help me with slingshot making.

i am baking 6 forks in the oven right now. lol
150 degrees Celsius .. i will check on them in 20

·
Registered
106 Posts
I just throw my forks in the top of my barn for a month or so. It's so hot here they just dry out on their own that way. Never really tried the microwave or oven method. I need to go find some new forks soon though I think I'm down to just 2 unfinished in the barn.

·
Resigned
1,087 Posts
lol bj000, you really have the bug bad mate. If you are anything like I was you will see forks everywhere, including in your dreams and DIY Stores, then you will become selective with time and experience, and find a style of natural that really suits you. It is a lovely learning curve

·
Resigned
1,825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
lol bj000, you really have the bug bad mate. If you are anything like I was you will see forks everywhere, including in your dreams and DIY Stores, then you will become selective with time and experience, and find a style of natural that really suits you. It is a lovely learning curve
oh, man i totally see everything as a fork.
i just almost finished my first natural.. just need to trim the forks and maybe some minor adjustments. i still got some forks in the oven.. i took them out earlier, but they were still wet.,

·
Resigned
1,087 Posts
oh, man i totally see everything as a fork.
i just almost finished my first natural.. just need to trim the forks and maybe some minor adjustments. i still got some forks in the oven.. i took them out earlier, but they were still wet.,
[/quote]
I Micro mine in an 850 for 40 seconds then take them out and let them steam till cool. I then repeat this process 3 times and have had no problems with splits mate. Just to be safe cut the forks and handle about 1/2" oversize to allow for any problems.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts