Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have had such a great experience with Natural Forks lately, that I had to share the good news. The two forks in the pic are the first natural forks I had ever held or shot. When I started shooting, I found Bill's gallery page and just gazed at his work like a kid drooling over candy they can't have. I thought, if a natural fork really worked, why did he go to all this effort. So, I craved all these fancy layups of mixed media from mastodon teeth, to bamboo. Now that I can shoot and have a nice, modest collection....I turned to a natural that Peetie Wheatstraw sent me. I knew I wanted to shoot it. The forks were smaller than my 20/15mm bands. I had never attached bands without grooves or used wider bands than the forks. It didn't shoot straight so I tuned up the fork tips, sanded her down to 1000 grit, beeswaxed it with heat, then I gave it 30 coats of paste wax.....well, my goodness...what a change. It shoots with any fork I own. I would not take $300.00 for it today. Thanks Peetie.

Next, Darrell sent me a beautiful oriental elm fork. I told myself it was too nice to 'tune-up'....so I put two coats of blue tape over the butt, tuned it up, sanded it to 1000 grit, beeswaxed it with heat, and gave it 10 coats of paste wax(20 to go). I shot it 10 times this morning and was absolutely blown away by it's performance. I would not take $300.00 for this fork today. Thanks, Darrell.

Now, before anyone gets bent out of shape or thinks that I have undermined the maker...I sent my new, S&W back for a trigger job, I sent my new, 870 to Wilson, I sent my new, Colt back to be dehorned and tuned up, I put Borla exhaust on my new, Cooper S. If I see potential, I am compelled to expand upon it.

I now have two naturals that perform as I need them to do and will get used as opposed to just getting looked at. And most of all I get to enjoy the Kindness that came along with them.
Thank you all for the kindness and putting up with my 'fan-danny'. I enjoy your friendship and being part of this forum.
Wood Wood stain Hardwood Natural material Tool
Musical instrument Wood Human body Kitchen utensil Tool
Plant Terrestrial plant Finger Flowering plant Fungus

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
A couple great looking naturals. If you need to tweak them to your needs, go for it. That's the beauty and simplicity of a natural wood fork, they can be altered quite easily or changed up.

Nice to see Naturals get the love they deserve. A lot of hours and work go into making them look that good and many, not all, dismiss them as they aren't made from exotic materials or have fancy clamping systems or colors. Most are truly handmade, not CNC, no laser jet or water cutting etc involved. Usually a pocketknife, files and then finishing technique.

·
Premium Member
321 Posts
I have had such a great experience with Natural Forks lately, that I had to share the good news. The two forks in the pic are the first natural forks I had ever held or shot. When I started shooting, I found Bill's gallery page and just gazed at his work like a kid drools over candy. I thought, if a natural fork really worked, why did he go to all this effort. So I craved all these fancy layups of mixed media from mastodon teeth, to bamboo. Now that I can shoot and have a nice, modest collection....I turned to a natural that Peetie Wheatstraw sent me. I knew I wanted to shoot it. The forks were smaller than my 20/15mm bands. I had never attached bands without grooves or used wider bands than the forks. It didn't shoot straight so I tuned up the fork tips, sanded her down to 1000 grit, beeswaxed it with heat, then I gave it 30 coats of paste wax.....well, my goodness...what a change. It shoots with any fork I own. I would not take $300.00 for it today. Thanks Peetie.

Next, Darrell sent me a beautiful oriental elm fork. I told myself it was too nice to 'tune-up'....so I put two coats of blue tape over the butt, tuned it up, sanded it to 1000 grit, beeswaxed it with heat, and gave it 10 coats of paste wax(20 to go). I shot it 10 times thus morning and was absolutely blown away by it's performance. I would not take $300.00 for this fork today.

Now, before anyone gets bent out of shape or thinks that I have undermined the maker...I sent my new S&W back for a trigger job, I sent my 870 to Wilson, I sent my Colt back to be dehorned and tuned up, I put Borla exhaust on my new Cooper S. I see potential and expand upon it.

I now have two naturals that perform as I need them to do and will get used as opposed to just getting looked at. And most of all I get to enjoy the Kindness that came along with them.
Thank you all for the kindness and putting up with me 'fan-danny'. I enjoy your friendship and being part of this forum.
View attachment 368798 View attachment 368799 View attachment 368800
Nice looking

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
A couple great looking naturals. If you need to tweak them to your needs, go for it. That's the beauty and simplicity of a natural wood fork, they can be altered quite easily or changed up.

Nice to see Naturals get the love they deserve. A lot of hours and work go into making them look that good and many, not all, dismiss them as they aren't made from exotic materials or have fancy clamping systems or colors. Most are truly handmade, not CNC, no laser jet or water cutting etc involved. Usually a pocketknife, files and then finishing technique.
...and most of all kindness.

·
Mojave Mo
5,258 Posts
That was a familiar journey. Growing up it seemed only the poorest kids had a Natural and so I wouldn’t touch them. When I found the Forum I couldn’t imagine why somebody would shoot a Natural Fork with so many ‘hot-dogger’ frames available! A shooter at the Tennessee Slingshot Gathering was shooting a beautiful bark-on natural against a field of high-octane frames. He didn’t blink and left his mark on every target in the gallery!

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
That was a familiar journey. Growing up it seemed only the poorest kids had a Natural and so I wouldn’t touch them. When I found the Forum I couldn’t imagine why somebody would shoot a Natural Fork with so many ‘hot-dogger’ frames available! A shooter at the Tennessee Slingshot Gathering was shooting a beautiful bark-on natural against a field of high-octane frames. He didn’t blink and left his mark on every target in the gallery!
I will be looking for another one, like a bloodhound.

·
SLING-N-SHOT
5,045 Posts

Couldn’t have said it better myself

Naturals or BUST

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Darrell Allen

** SlingLyfe Band Up **

·
SLING-N-SHOT
5,045 Posts
I find that a wax finish, also, gives a slight bit of grip that plastic does not.
I agree with this Stuart and I do like the ‘grippiness’ …..new word I just made up, that wax gives……BUT, having said that, I don’t think it makes the grain pop like an oil based finish does.

Darrell Allen

** SlingLyfe Band Up **

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I agree with this Stuart and I do like the ‘grippiness’ …..new word I just made up, that wax gives……BUT, having said that, I don’t think it makes the grain pop like an oil based finish does.

Darrell Allen

** SlingLyfe Band Up **
This grain is poppin' like rice kripsies.
Leg Human body Gesture Finger Wood
Skin Human body Knee Gesture Wood
Hand Wood Cuisine Finger Dish

·
Registered
383 Posts
I have a couple naturals from Darrel when we traded a year or two ago. And some more on the way! I wouldn’t trade or sell them for anything. They shoot just as nice as my more expensive fancy G10 forks and in my opinion are just as beautiful. I don’t really value my stuff based on the price tag or materials. While I enjoy my so called fancy frames, I enjoy some of the more simple things I’ve acquired just as much. The two forks Darrel made me bring me the same amount of joy as my JJCC.

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I have a couple naturals from Darrel when we traded a year or two ago. And some more on the way! I wouldn’t trade or sell them for anything. They shoot just as nice as my more expensive fancy G10 forks and in my opinion are just as beautiful. I don’t really value my stuff based on the price tag or materials. While I enjoy my so called fancy frames, I enjoy some of the more simple things I’ve acquired just as much. The two forks Darrel made me bring me the same amount of joy as my JJCC.

Well then send me that Apex...:sneaky:

1 - 20 of 29 Posts