Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I cut this natural fork just yesterday evening, it was a eucalyptus branch that was very thick so i decided i would try a "boardcut" design for a bit of fun. Using mainly a knife and rasp i managed to get it down to this shape, but tomorrow i will even it up with the dremel and hopefully give it a nice sanding and eventually finish with linseed oil.

I used Bill Hays lil' ranger templet as a reference because I loved its appearance, but because of the woods thickness I thought it might be nice to add a thicker grip. I also left areas were the natural movement of the branch could takeover so it still appears in an organic form. I do realise i deviated from the original design, however im pretty happy with it so far.

The first photograph shows the outline of the original fork, i wish i had taken a progression but i just didnt think about it

any advice and feedback would be much appreciated.

Jrich

Attachments

·
Member, Brotherhood of Slingshot Nutz
11,147 Posts
That is very nice, and your methodology is the one I like best because it involves honing your skills with a knife and it is way more fun and relaxing than using machines. But it's not a Lil Ranger.

Excellent work, Jrich.

·
Premium Member
7,905 Posts
That looks really great!
Good work and way to think "outside the box" in regards to making a natural that performs like a boardcut.

·
Premium Member
4,168 Posts
Good one Man!
I see you made it thicker and with a more robust build to compensate for the natural material... good call.

You did one thing I think many people should look at and try to emulate when doing boardcuts, and that is you payed attention to the grain... Knowing the weakest point on most boardcuts is the inside half of the forks, specifically the 1/4" of wood where most fork hits happen.... you have the grain at that point extended well into the handle, meaning it would be unlikely to get a fork break from a mere fork hit.

Good Job!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the comments,
@dayhiker yes this definitely isnt a lil ranger but i thought that the templet was a good place to start from, thanks for the positive feedback.
@aamj thank you for your kind words

@bill yes making it thicker was a must because the wood has no where near the strength of G10 and yes the grain is a huge factor with fork strength so thanks for noticing these precautions i took.

does anyone have some advice about what bands i should attach, and which band attachments would be appropriate for this slingshot?

Regards Jrich

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.