Slingshots Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Okay so I call this a "pocket poacher", but for the record all I ever use it for is stump shooting.

So I've been trying to find designs that don't breach Australian law, and I was interested in Joerg's comments about poaching slingshots, (which I have no doubt he was posting in a strictly academic sense).
His criteria of a "conceilable slingshot, a that you can throw away without too much regret" was interesting. Normally you'd do that with a natural wooden fork , but the "Y shape frame" law in Australia prevents that.

Walking my dog this afternoon I saw a narrow natural Y in eucalyptus wood that gave me an idea, if you make one with the forks narrow enough, you could hold it in one hand without breaching the "Y shaped fork" rule. With that you could make a small, cheap concealable slingshot that was still Aussie legal.

So was born the "Poacher's V" slingshot.

Advantages: small , concealable (without a handle it fits very easily into a pocket), has very low forks so reduced pressure on the wrist. Also cheap (my one used about $0.50 worth of materials).
Disadvantages: hard to grip (mine has a lanyard so if you lose your grip you don't cop it in the face), and b*tt-ugly , I can't imagine a poacher's V winning slingshot of the month.

Pics below, enjoy.

Attachments

·
Tex-shooter
4,493 Posts
This is a popular pattern in Mexico, only with a pouch. Some there and here in Texas also carry and shoot a band set with no fork at all. -- Tex

·
Registered
105 Posts
Sweet.

Are coping saws illegal in Australia too? If not then you could turn one of those into a slingshot too. Nice handle and a metal fork.

·
Registered
350 Posts
I never saw one like that here in mexico, but I have seen on the internet some examples of forks whitout a post, and other examples without a pouch, but never combined.

looks a bit crude but seems to work pretty well.

certainly a good emergency solution on the field

·
Resigned
5,563 Posts
It is my thought that a slingshot cannot at all be stable without a pouch. There is a reason for a pouch, isnt there? Someone who knows please inform me on this or I will start making my slingshots without pouches. That is if they tend to work better.

·
Registered
3,147 Posts
Nice back to basics shooter.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Nice back to basics shooter.
Thanks, naturally it's pretty rough and rugged and (despite my earlier comments) it's probably possible to make quite nice looking naturals using this method (LOL I just don't have the patience , I wanted it made dammit!).

Dayhiker - yr right , no pouch. I'm using super wide rubber (also quite thick) so it doesn't have too much of an effect on my shooting, but would definitely use pouches if I could get "off the shelf" bands here.

Chris - the coping saw thing is a great idea. I never thought of that, thanks.

Next one will be a bowfishing version on the same design...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts