Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
5,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello SlingshotForum friends!!

Here's my latest homemade frame. Carved out from a very matured fork of yew wood (Taxus baccata) given to me by the member Monkeyboab circa 2016. Luckily it was still in one piece, sturdy as ever and ready to be made into a slingshot. Finished up to 2000 sandpaper grit with a coat of linseed oil (haven't decided yet if I'll buff it up with beeswax).

The curved handle, the orange colour and its spread fork tips reminded me of the Portuguese scorpion species, the Buthus occitanus, hence its name :)

Hope you folks like it!

Cheers ...Q

DSC02073.JPG DSC02074.JPG DSC02075.JPG DSC02079.JPG DSC02081.JPG DSC02083.JPG DSC02086.JPG DSC02088.JPG

Attachments

·
Registered
5,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You da man Q! That's a stunning example of a yew slingshot. Beautiful work my friend
Thank you so much, my friend, for your overwhelming reply!!! :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:

I'm glad you've liked it!!!!

Best regards ...Q

Reactions: Ibojoe

·
Registered
5,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
That is absolutely exquisite. The grain seems almost buttery!
Thank you so much for your awesome feedback!

While I was choosing a name for it, butter did come to my mind once or twice :D

Yew indeed has an amazing grain!!!

Cheers ...Q

·
Registered
5,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Amazing work Mr Q! As always!!!
So many thanks, Treeman!!!

You're very kind. I'm glad you've appreciated it :)

Best regards ...Q

Q - Very nice recurve frame. You never disappoint - your frames are always drool worthy.
MANY THANKS, my friend!!!!

Hey, wanna see it in person?? LOL!!!! :D

By the way, do you like to shoot 5 grams glass marbles? Just out of curiosity...

Best regards ...Q

Reactions: Ibojoe

·
Super Moderator
6,185 Posts
I was going suggest café tomorrow ;-P I would love to see some of your work in person. Often photos don't quite catch the full picture. I still need to find some of the secret PT sandpaper - and get some forks to work on.

I haven't shot marbles in ages... Was planning to get some in 6mm and 10-11mm but never got round to it. As a kid marbles and lead sinkers were 'the good stuff' and coveted for shooting.

Stupid question - how big are 5gr ones? With shooting .177 and 9mm steel - regular sized marbles now feel so big in the pouch.

·
Registered
5,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
As we like to say in my country, "Sling good, shape good, sun bright".

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Oh sir, not acquainted with that expression. I'll take it as a compliment :D

And thank you for teaching me that. Could be useful in commenting works from fellow shooters.

Best regards ...Q

1 - 20 of 28 Posts