Slingshots Forum banner
  • Enter Our Dog Days of Summer BBQ Giveaway Now!  ENDING SOON

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I started a "hello" thread in the welcome forum... But its not getting the views and replies I need.

I got this piece of cherry from my Uncle's tree, well one of the limbs was dead already, the other not.

It feels very strong, but it has me worried.

Also, this is my first home made slingshot. I didn't dry it properly and it has developed some slight cracking. Stop shooting it?

Thanks!

·
Registered
737 Posts
Actually i don't want to say something wrong. You should atach some paracord and test the strenght by yourself.

It's the best way to check if the frame is strong enough.

Friedrich

·
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
1,414 Posts
My philosophy is always better safe than sorry, I would retire them both mate...

·
Registered
54 Posts
have to agree with sam there. im sure you worked hard on both forks, but its not worth the risk of putting an eye out. Theres always more forks in the world, just find the right ones, dry them, and make sure theyre safe before you got plinkin'!

kyle.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My philosophy is always better safe than sorry, I would retire them both mate...
I agree, its not worth loosing a tooth over.

Honestly, I have very little time in both of these, and nothing is lost. I used to whittle wood quite a bit when I was younger, most of the fun with these is the creation part for me anyway. So nothing lost, only experience gained.

Thanks!

·
Registered
847 Posts
The second one shown definitely has some fiber seperation along the grain, but that wouldn't necessarily be catastrophic. It doesn't look super deep. If you tried to break it by hand with no luck, it's probably not going to give you any trouble while shooting. If you're really worried about it, you could slather the fork arms in Elmer's wood glue (or similar) and wrap them tightly with some strong cotton string (maybe 1/16" diameter stuff). When the glue dries it should be pretty well reinforced. If you're gonna test out a slingshot that you're not sure of, however, it's always worthwhile to invest a few bucks in a full polycarb face shield. Like one of THESE.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.