Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
4,537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here are a several naturals I found while on vacation in my brothers town in Conn. I am very interested in seeing the character of the grain because of what spalting has occurred.

The lighter ones on the left are Locust from a fallen tree. When I cut them they gave off an odor somewhat of a dead carcass. Upon further peeling off of the bark, there were maggots under the bark some very small and some nearly like a full grown maggot under the loosest bark. Kind of gross but I scraped off the maggots and what wood easily scraped off with the edge of a knife.

The locust is heavy stuff.

The dark ones I am not positive of and the small greyish one was a driftwood branch elevated out of the water when I found it. I kept it because it looked like a perfect fork that will need next to nothing to prepare it for bands. I too like when forks check. The splits in the wood give character.

Wood Font Artifact Art Hardwood

Wood Natural material Cuisine Dish Hardwood

Attachments

· Premium Member
2,320 Posts
Those are really nice especially when you tip them over on end and see that heartwood inside.

Reactions: capnjoe

· Premium Member
2,915 Posts
Score! nice bunch you got there. The maggot bit was kinda gross, especially with the carcass smell right before revealing the maggots, but hey maggot wood probably rocks. Is that a hole in the bottom of the one in the second pic? Looks like you got loads of character waiting for you in that pile.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.