Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There are already a few pellet holes that need to be repaired in this house so it was absolutely necessary to protect the walls and windows from the heavier ricochet-prone ammo that's been sailing from room to room lately. Walls are easy enough to fix but nobody wants to schedule and budget a window replacement. And let's be honest, who really wants to chase around and pick up ammo off the floor or out of a couch cushion? Besides my two cats, they've had what's left of a Daisy 3/8" box donated to their toy supply but they don't put them back into the box very often so they're not too helpful in that aspect. But they do a good job of finding them at odd hours of the night and waking the baby by scattering them on the hardwood floors. So still, no help. But here's a list of what I did to avoid any predicaments:

catch box.jpg

Box sitting normal, on one of the short sides I cut a 2" slot the width of the box at the very bottom and then another an inch or two above that one

On that same side cut off the "tab" or whatever and scored it so it could be folded and taped into a long triangle and then laid across and taped to the strip of paper between the two cut slots to act as a sort of support

Folded a bath towel into thirds the long way and again in half and fed each end through one of the slots and pulled them down to the bottom of the box

Cut off parts of the side tabs and taped the remaining to the bottom tab

Hung a can and beat the brakes off it with the 7/16" ammo that showed up yesterday. And when I say "beat the brakes" I mean there were a lot of shots that hit the towel because I've suddenly learned what it takes to be consistent with a more traditional type of slingshot versus a wrist rocket.

Haven't chronied the 7/16" steel but these loops were throwing the 3/8" steel at about 205 fps so six layers of towel aren't really phased so your mileage may vary but it's been a fun box from as close as five yards or so. Definitely going to add another layer of cardboard or fabric on the sides as you can see one bounce from hitting the side of a can that made a considerable dent but at least for now the balls are collected, the walls and windows are in the same condition, and I'm not relying on the cats to help me clean up.

Attachments

·
Registered
77 Posts
The 55 grain 3/8" @ 205 =5.13fpe I think the 87 grain 7/16" will be between 175 and 190fps which would be 5.9 to 7.0fpe. Let us know if you chrony it.

If you hit a cat it could be more expensive than a picture window. Just saying.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If you hit a cat it could be more expensive than a picture window. Just saying.
True, and you can't just tape up a cat for the time being. They don't seem to like the slingshot though, sometimes they'll linger around if I'm plinking with pellet guns that aren't very loud but when they see the fork in my hand they stare at it most of their walk right out the room. Unless they've already found a stray 3/8", they don't pay attention to much when chasing those

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Had to make new loops and added just under a half inch to the piece cut on each side, haven't checked active length but 3/8" steel was doing 198ish and the 7/16" was sailing at 177-179 fps. So about 4.7 fpe and a hair over 6 fpe respectively.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts