Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've taken it as a personal challenge to get a slingshot drawing into the new Slingshot World Magazine. I've spoken with the publisher. He likes my work, but suggested that what he would really like is a traditional cartoon.

You've seen my two slingshot drawings... Funny? Right???

Don't judge to harshly, writing a gag cartoon is excruciating. Here's what I've come up with:

1) An old man looking weird after hitting his hand over and over. (The drawing's good)

2) The automatic ball return I just posted. Another version of that had three men shooting at each other in a triangle.

3) A woman (the shooter's wife) is acting as the target. She's holding a bull's eye target against her chest. There's a giant hole where her eye used to be. (Caption) "Much better Honey, just a little high and to the left."

4) (English humor, since the magazine is English, and I love Andy Capp forever) There's a procession of slingshot shooters walking in a line into a tournament. You see a line of shooters and behind them is a giant Renaissance catapult, pulled by heaving men... (Caption) "Oh look, here come the English." Second version: A guy is speaking to another at a counter, obviously a check-in. There's a door behind them and outside the door is the war catapult, complete with giant boulders. (Caption) You don't mind if us English use our catapults do you mate?"

I can hear you laughing from here.

Help me. Somebody come up with a funny cartoon idea. Think lighthearted and goofy. I, of coarse, will share a by-line. I can't spend too much longer on this. I've got a paying job that's just started, but I can fit in another drawing. Give me a caption I think will sell and I'll illustrate it right away, like that night.

·
Mojave Mo
5,155 Posts
The funniest sling moments around my house:
I broke an overhead hanging light with a sling. Told the wife I was playing 'air drums' with a spoon.
Got busted wet-sanding in the shower.
Played hookie from work and lock my keys in the car ten miles out if town at my private hideaway sling range.
Attempting to turn any household items into slingshots. Imagine all of the furniture in my house with sling patterns cut out of it.
I ditched one of those 'pretty flower wife displays' that had been in the living room collecting dust for 12 years....there were about 50 marbles in that vase holding up dead stuff.
I went to a road-side display of traffic carnage..... crosses, and flowers, and piles of marbles everywhere place marking. I left the marbles.
My wife wanted chickpeas in her salad....I shot them all out of the back door over the fence.....told her the dog ate them.
Cocoa Puff cereal is bad ammo.

........ anything happening...??

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
I agree w/ Matt Walt, avoid #3, especially in these times.

A cartoon w/ husband and wife is a classic for anything to do w/ shooting sports. Try this:

Husband with a partially disassembled necklace on his workbench, shooting the individual beads. Wife to one side w/ a jewelry box saying to husband "Have you seen grandmother's ruby necklace? I've looked everywhere and can't find it."

Best of luck w/ this.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I really like the husband breaking something in the house and blaming the dog. What would make it funnier is if the broken object was something the dog couldn't have anything to do with, like a overhead light (Mojave Mo).

It's still not there.

Distressingly, I've got a Canadian Publisher crawling up me to get started on their anthology. It's a horror anthology, featuring a horror story from each of the Canadian Provinces. As always, when the credits are given, they will very carefully fail to mention that I'm not Canadian. In this case, they're a little wrong. My father died a Canadian citizen and I spent every summer of my youth at my grandparent's house in Ontario.

I've done two slingshot drawings and told the publisher to use them if he wanted, or not. I'll still buy the magazine. It's one guy. I used to run a e-magazine and it's not easy. He's doing a great job. I hope the magazine makes it. I'll try again later when I reach the next lull....

·
Super Moderator
6,192 Posts
Yeah - he has his work cut-out for him. Trying to fill content could be a real challenge. He managed to almost cover the whole industry in his first edition. Also it would be great to understand how large his market is long term.

Though do hope he makes it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts