Slingshots Forum banner

Need some help with bands (got a low shot count)

2K views 16 replies 10 participants last post by  J3ff 
#1 ·
Hi all

I've been shooting Theraband gold, but don't feel i am getting enough from it.

I have a draw of about 76cm. Divide by 5 and that means i need an active band length of 15cm. I get good performance and accuracy from that but band life is limited to a maximum of 100 shots - probably more like 60.

So i tried cutting an active length of 16cm but power is well down, as is accuracy - 16cm just feels wrong.

The above leads me to think i need a better brand of band (hence another thread i started). Is this a correct assumption, or should i try something else with the TBG? Perhaps my expectations of band life are too high, but there seems to be many people getting 500 or more shots out of a bandset.

Which thickness of band is the next question, any help on that appreciated. (my verniers put the Theraband at 0.65mm thick)

I'm thinking to go to 0.70mm for the following set ups.

6mm BB - bands normally cut 15-10mm taper

9.5mm BB - bands normally cut 20-15mm taper

Would appreciate some guidance before throwing the TBG in the trash.

Cheers

See less See more
#2 ·
Try .7 Sumeike, Precise or Gzk. . I like .7, 1" strait cut, it last quite a bit longer than my tapers, speed seems good not a noticeable drop at 10 meters with 9.5 steel. I also use 1 1/8' by 3/4" Its fast. I bought a crony still waiting on shipping from china. When it arrives I will have fps. I typically shoot around 5.25 elongation sometimes 5 or 5.5 depending on elastic. Some brands and tapers 150 shots is good strait cuts at 5 times elongation maybe 250 or 300 shots. I do not care for TBG myself, I think you will be doing yourself a huge favor trying something new.

#5 ·
Thanks. I have thrown out the old bands so no pics... But also no pattern to where they tear.
I think TBG is just not up to it, its a fitness band as supposed to purpose made slingshot band.
Im thinking to try some .65 or .70 sumeike or precise for the 9.5mm balls. Then probably some .50 for 6mm balls.

I guess its just down to experimenting.

#6 ·
Think you are on the right track. I'm a new convert to thinner bands in a longer draw. Got more punch it seems than short, thicker bands. Thinner, long bands give an easier draw and much easier on the thumb. Tried some of Kalavalas set ups and had to give up when I started to get a repetitive strain injury on my thumb joint. He must have the thumbs of Thor.

Lot of fun mucking around with different band sets. Got a trash can full of them!

#8 ·
The short life of the theraband may be due to a dull / nicked cutter. If the edges of the bands are not smooth and uniform it will create a point of failure. Also you need to make sure your bands are stored away from light and heat. These tips apply to all flat band material, nice smooth edges make them last longer for sure :)

#9 ·
The short life of the theraband may be due to a dull / nicked cutter. If the edges of the bands are not smooth and uniform it will create a point of failure. Also you need to make sure your bands are stored away from light and heat. These tips apply to all flat band material, nice smooth edges make them last longer for sure :)
Cheers for the thought, but it's a brand new Fiskars cutter with new blade :thumbsup:

#12 ·
Thanks. I have thrown out the old bands so no pics... But also no pattern to where they tear.
I think TBG is just not up to it, its a fitness band as supposed to purpose made slingshot band.
Im thinking to try some .65 or .70 sumeike or precise for the 9.5mm balls. Then probably some .50 for 6mm balls.
Flip is right about tbg. When you get the sumeike you will get a very pleasant surprise. I use it all and failures are few and far between and the performance is awesome. Just remember,thin rubber is fast rubber.

#13 ·
Flip is right about tbg. When you get the sumeike you will get a very pleasant surprise. I use it all and failures are few and far between and the performance is awesome. Just remember,thin rubber is fast rubber.
Thanks. With that in mind what thickness should i go for with 6mm and 9.5mm steel?

I'm thinking of 0.65 for the 9.5mm BB (tapered 20-15)as that is same thickness as TBG, and .50 for the 6mm (probably also tapered 20-15)

What do you guys recommend?

#14 ·
.45 Sumieke is perfect for 6mm. If funds are tight and you want something for both the 6 and 9.5 mm ammo then you could get .55 and adjust your band cuts to suit the two weights of ammo.

I shoot the .45 with 6mm all the time now after trying a bunch of other stuff, but the Sumieke is in a class of its own. Super silky, easy to cut and in a 18/10 mm taper with a long draw......it's my best friend. Not fond of the colour though....kinda pinky/girly mauve.

Another revelation for me that I can't resist passing on, is the SimpleShot dipped latex, extra small black tubing. Only ever known Dankung tubes before, but the SS small dipped latex is streets ahead of Dankung. Ideal for bb's, 6mm ( even 8mm with pseudo tapers) and it's deathly quiet.

#15 ·
Another revelation for me that I can't resist passing on, is the SimpleShot dipped latex, extra small black tubing. Only ever known Dankung tubes before, but the SS small dipped latex is streets ahead of Dankung. Ideal for bb's, 6mm ( even 8mm with pseudo tapers) and it's deathly quiet.
I agree. I use the Simple Shot extra small and the small dipped latex tubing. I like the feel when drawing, just feels smoother than Dankung. The small tubing will fit on wire frames like Daisy and Barnett. Just use a little alcohol for lubricant.

#16 ·
And it doesn't hardly ever invert and twist back on itself when used as singles or pseudo. Always found that annoying with Dankung. In fact I pretty much gave up tubes altogether other than for my ninja quiet, gypsy tabbed shooter and my beloved OPFS.

Now my everyday companion that comes with me to work is a small single banded shooter with the extra small SS dipped tubes, a mixed handful of bb's and 6mm ammo. It's a very satisfying, discreet, accurate, non twisting little combo.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.