Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

Premium Member
Love me some slingshots.
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need some pointers on setting pins into frames. I tried my best with what I had to pre cut them to size. I also misjudged the angle on the fork pins going into the frame so that's why I put one in the middle. And I decided to do this after I sealed it 馃槀. It was my first time messing with them and the wood grain direction left me no choice. Overall I'm happy with it.
Hand Human body Artifact Gesture Finger
Hand Wood Gesture Thumb Nail
Hand Gesture Wood Finger Thumb
Toy Gesture Wood Finger Thumb
Wood Gesture Bottle stopper & saver Finger Thumb

Registered
Looks ok for a 1st time effort!

In knife making I tend to peen pin ends (no glue) when working with tight grained woods. That said, I would definitely use epoxy with the pins for strength the way you've pinned it. Drill & pin diameters are important when you are looking to strengthen the wooden stress structure, for this I would use pins (e.g. dowel pins?) that are a reasonably tight (sliding, no wobble) fit when gluing. It defeats the purpose if your pin has too much clearance (oversized hole) & relies solely on the glue setting for stability.

Hope this helps in some way..

Premium Member
Love me some slingshots.
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks man it was definitely a spur of the moment type of thing and I only spent about 20 minutes on it total. One thing that came out correctly was how the pins fit into the hole I had to put a lot of my body weight on the frame to shove those pens through the holes I don't think they're going to go anywhere lol next time I'll set them before I get into my sanding.

Premium Member
Love me some slingshots.
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If you take a hand planer and a piece of oak you can plane off a paper thin shaving of oak and glue it on over the pin ends and with a bit of sanding you will never know there were pins in it.
Nice thinking is it pretty durable?

Registered
I coat both sides in CA glue and lay them on there and try to match the grain as best as I can and I have never had an issue with them coming off or anything. I also finish my slingshots in a couple coats of superglue and that works really well.

Premium Member
Love me some slingshots.
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I coat both sides in CA glue and lay them on there and try to match the grain as best as I can and I have never had an issue with them coming off or anything. I also finish my slingshots in a couple coats of superglue and that works really well.
Right on I'll have to look into that thank you!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts