Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Panda... with a slingshot?!?
807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need some tips on making a natural slingshot.
  1. How can I ensure that wood I find is strong enough? Is it a simple test of trying to snap it?
  2. How do I get the best finish on natural forks?
  3. Does it really matter what type of wood it is?
  4. Does it matter what rubber I use?
That's all I can think of for the time being.

PandaMan

·
Tex-shooter
4,461 Posts
It depends a lot on what kind of a slingshot! If a natural fork, any hard wood will work OK. If a board cut, Baltic Birch plywood is good. Here is a flat rubber list in order of my preference, pure Latex, Thera-band, Linatex, and gum rubber. Trumark band sets or Thera-band tubing are good for tubes. Tubes don't shoot quit as fast as flats. -- Tex

·
807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It depends a lot on what kind of a slingshot! If a natural fork, any hard wood will work OK. If a board cut, Baltic Birch plywood is good. Here is a flat rubber list in order of my preference, pure Latex, Thera-band, Linatex, and gum rubber. Trumark band sets or Thera-band tubing are good for tubes. Tubes don't shoot quit as fast as flats. -- Tex
ok thanks.

·
807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ah. Thought of another question. I know I am looking for hardwood. The problem is I don't know how I can identify different hardwoods to know what to pick up and what not to. So how do I know if a wood is hardwood?

·
Tex-shooter
4,461 Posts
You will need to talk to someone where you live for that. If cut from a live tree, it should be cut longer than you want and cured. You can find wood curing ideas on the web. -- Tex

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.