Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
591 Posts
I am posting this here because not everyone was involved in the Altoids Tin competition.

This is my new effort - I have named her "Curiously Strong". Like it says on the Altoids tin.

There is a 40-second video showing the into-tin and out-of-tin handling at this link:

https://1drv.ms/v/s!AhGeuk-sHLLMj22pkxLkQjYk3tfl

Since making the video, I have found that I can put a steel ball in the pouch and jamb it between the fork posts, for "quicker draw", and it stays there pretty well.

My mission was to make a strong catapult to handle all ammo sizes, so the pouch is a general purpose leather one, 4.5" long and 1.1" wide. Amongst other things I am playing with 1", 10.6 gramme ice balls at the moment and the catapult handles these very well.

The frame shape gives me a strong grip with thumb and forefinger braced high and 2 fingers round the lower grip - leaving my little finger free to stir my Vodka Martini or to hold out in the wind to gauge strength and direction. :)

The frame looks like half-inch plywood, but isn't. It is a lamination of 4 pieces of Robbins Elite Okoume 3.15mm, 3-ply marine plywood, so all the veneers are of good quality. The 2 inner pieces have the grain of their outer veneers at 30 degrees to that of the outer pieces, to strengthen the vital crotch area of the fork. The total thickness of the frame is 12.9mm/0.51".

The bands are single Theraband Gold tapering from 21mm to 16mm/ 0.83" to 0.63". I went for a short effective rubber length of 5.25", so that a 21" draw will give me a 4x stretch, and 26.25" a 5x stretch.

The bindings are Marlow Waxed Polyester No. 4 Whipping Twine, 0.8mm thick. The band to fork post bindings are a modified West Country Whipping with double overhand knots instead of single overhand knots, on the sides not the flats of the posts, for better tightness.

The frame finish is 3 coats of Rustin's Danish oil.

So if you want to use 1" ice balls, say for self defence against polar bears . . . . . . . . . :)

Mike

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
6,192 Posts
Mike I really like that. I think you could even move the finger scallops up slightly (1/8 - possibly even as much as 1/4") - allow for a little more finger grip - or make it even smaller.

I'm also a stickler for lanyards or pinkie rings for security or as a little extra bracing.

Nice work though - its a nice shape and well finished.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Mike I really like that. I think you could even move the finger scallops up slightly (1/8 - possibly even as much as 1/4") - allow for a little more finger grip - or make it even smaller.

I'm also a stickler for lanyards or pinkie rings for security or as a little extra bracing.

Nice work though - its a nice shape and well finished.
Thanks Mattwalt,

I agree with all that. I located the finger scallops (nice word!) lower originally for max fork root strength, but I think they could both be higher, the left one maybe higher than the right one.

As usual, the next one will address several issues . . . :)

Mike

1 - 9 of 9 Posts