Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
First off I would like to thank Bill Hays for this awesome design. Now that that's out of the way let's get down to the slingshot.
Hand tool Backsaw Tool Wood Metalworking hand tool

It is comprised of a PVC core, Orangeheart wood, and some left over cherry that I had sitting around my workshop.

Wood Boats and boating--Equipment and supplies Automotive exterior Bumper Bicycle handlebar

The PVC core works well, though it was hard to bond to the wood. So I used some 1/8 brass pins that go for knife scales, just to make sure this project stayed together this time.

Wood String instrument String instrument Tool Wood stain
Wood Hardwood Wood stain Plywood Font

Hopefully the aluminum plates will be here in time for my next build, flattening the Pvc was a pain, worth it, but a pain none the less.

String instrument String instrument Musical instrument String instrument accessory Wood
Wood Tool Hand tool Font Hardwood
Wood Finger Calipers Revolver Thumb

Thanks for checking it out, feedback and criticisms are appreciated.

Attachments

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
the scales are split if that’s what you mean, they were 2inch wide slabs for laminating salt and pepper shakers. I ended up cutting more than i needed for the project, so i made some knife scales out of some and slingshots out of the rest.

·
SLING-N-SHOT
4,453 Posts
Looks good.... you mentioned the PVC was a pain to flatten.... what was your method?

There is a guy on here ( can't recall his name )that flattens PVC by boiling slabs of it till soft, pressing out flat blanks from that, then gluing multiple layers together to shape out ergo frames from the solid PVC

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
85 Posts
I cut one side of it and used a heat gun to heat till soft, then I flattened it between a large piece of metal and a wood board. It just took a while in 95 degree weather. I’ve done the same thing with Pvc bows in the past. so this was simple, just soooo hot out.

Reactions: KawKan

·
Neophyte
2,126 Posts
I really like the Ferret Hunter design, I tried to make one out of a hdpe cutting board and it shoots great but looks awful lol. Neat set up you have there with the pvc core. Nice frame overall :)

Reactions: 16YearOldWoodturner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts