Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think I found a really great wood to make some Nattys from. It's the Japanese Honeysuckle classified as a invasive species plant. Once it seasons it feels like it is hard as oak, but still pretty light. Just throwing that out there.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Dang, what if you reinforce the sumac tree with hardwood dowels? I bet that would go the trick.

·
Registered
4,018 Posts
Nice looks like a good natty tree eh . Lots of shoots we have one the sumac tree has the most perfect Y s but not very strong ;-(
I've had good luck with Sumac forks but as you said, it's not very strong and you probably want to leave it a bit on the large side. The color and grain are really nice too.

·
Ray Rowden
2,462 Posts
I make a couple naturals from Honeysuckle Bush every once in a while. Like the man said, it is terribly invasive and has to be cut back aggressively.

The forks are sturdy. Bark stays tight if you want to keep it.

HoneysucklePair.jpg

The deep, dark secret is that when the bush is old and thick enough, it produces a very dense, nicely grained heartwood. I'm working on a small fork from some of that now. Hope to post something soon.

Attachments

·
Registered
662 Posts
I make a couple naturals from Honeysuckle Bush every once in a while. Like the man said, it is terribly invasive and has to be cut back aggressively.
The forks are sturdy. Bark stays tight if you want to keep it.
attachicon.gif
HoneysucklePair.jpg
The deep, dark secret is that when the bush is old and thick enough, it produces a very dense, nicely grained heartwood. I'm working on a small fork from some of that now. Hope to post something soon.
I was honestly surprised how dense that wood was to be the diameter it was. Who would have ever guessed that it got that tough. I'm letting it dry out for the season since there was still some moisture. But man is that stuff tough.

Nice shooters you got there Kawkan. The bark off one times tired on like done if the Brazilian cattys I have seen. How do you like shooting it that way?

·
Ray Rowden
2,462 Posts
I think I borrowed that band attachment from some ash cup shooters built and sold down in some Ozark fishing camps.

It's a great way to set up a natty for TTF. Shoots great! I've also put tubes on Feihu forks the same way. Works!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts