Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

have been busy in the workshop today.

My newest creation is another compound slingshot, this time using four pulleys, of course all of them equipped with ball bearings.

This compound slingshot is really compact, because the rubber is stored very efficiently on two rollers per band. The slingshot is just 18 cm wide (7") and 15,5 cm (6") high, but it enhances the draw length by 17 cm per side! This means there is almost no more dead play in the action, my entire draw length is used effectively.

It shoots very good. I will do a video tomorrow including some action. Will be fun!

It looks a little bit like a candle holder - but I need to find a better name than that... ideas, anyone?

Jörg

·
Registered
199 Posts
How about the astounding slingshot for a name? Or the un-believable? Don't exactly roll off the tongue though!
Looks superb as usual whatever you call it. Does it shoot as good as it's looks suggest?

·
Brotherhood Of The Slingshot Nutz
2,153 Posts
I like the 4x4 name from CHIEF shot in the foot and hand!

·
SSF Founder
5,225 Posts
I like it!!! Cannot wait to see the video tomorrow. I just wish I could buy one!! I would be all over it!!

Another name suggestion: The Tandem, since the rollers move in tandem.

·
Registered
855 Posts
WooHoo! These just keep getting better all the time. Outstanding, Joerg!

I kinda like the 4x4 name, or the 4WD (Four Wheel Drive).

·
Super Moderator
6,635 Posts
Looks really Good Bud! Very efficient use of a pulley system! I also like that "4X4" name for it!! COOL! Flatband

·
Banned
913 Posts
Your slingshots keep getting better and better. Unbelievable, Joerg. from the W design to the 4 towers/4x4. You are really coming into your own with these. I just wish I could be a part of it. I wish could help get this thing into market in some way that could benefit you without jeapordizing your job.

·
Banned
913 Posts
I really like 2 things about the 4x4:
(1)the way is it set up there is no twisting of the bands like on an over the top shooter, yet the bands are still as efficiently utilized letting the bands go through the frame without snapping into it.

(2)the way the bands "coat" the rollers to protect them in the event you bung your shot an a bullet hits the fork.

Are you going to continue to develop the concept?

·
Premium Member
90 Posts
My suggestion for the name of Joerg’s new slingshot is the “JEEP”. The jeep is arguably the most famous 4X4.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Jörg, you are so close to a block and tackle pulley set up, why did you not go for that? When I saw this pictue, I was like "awe-man, that's just so close to a compound pulley setup."

I can't find a paper where the force is the elastic material, but if the same properties of a rope with a force is similar, then you are close to a block and tackle, and thus the pull and hold of the bands will be easier. Aka a real compound slingshot. Either place the band secure post on the other side and block and tackle the band around the 2 pulleys or add a third pulley and snake the banding.

I hope you do this because you are really on the cutting the edge of unwrapping the compund setup. Though I have not read about if the forces of elastic material in a block and tackle setup hold true. It should to some degee.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts