Slingshots Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys this is my first post and sayin hay. Im new to serious slingshooting, what are your guys favorite ammo for target practice and hunting. Also do you guys no much about making your own lead balls. Would buying larger buckshot bbs work aswell. thanks jesse

·
Premium Member
3,465 Posts
For power and fun, No.7 oval lead sinkers. They weigh about 150 grains. That's about the same as a .40m to .45cal round ball.

For accuracy, a round lead ball of about 100 grains and a lighter bandset to match.

Ought to 0000 should cover it, but proportionally smaller gage if tungsten. If you do get tungsten spheres (shot not bearing) cheaply, I'd love to buy some.

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
hey guys this is my first post and sayin hay. Im new to serious slingshooting, what are your guys favorite ammo for target practice and hunting. Also do you guys no much about making your own lead balls. Would buying larger buckshot bbs work aswell. thanks jesse
Marbles mate!
And have a look at BellsofHythe, they have a lead mould for just such an occasion.

·
Premium Member
71 Posts
I purchased a 0000 lead shot mould on ebay, and went to my local scrap yard and bought about 20lbs of lead. It cost around 75 cents a pound for the lead. 1 pound of lead yields about 30-40 balls. I use an old 2 quart pot and my BBQ grill to melt the lead. Put on heavy leather gloves and I use an old stainless steel serving spoon to pour the hot lead into the mould. With a little patients and practice I can make about 200 balls an hour. Yes it is easier just to buy them, but me and my 15yr son enjoy it and get to spend some good time together. Hope this helps

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I purchased a 0000 lead shot mould on ebay, and went to my local scrap yard and bought about 20lbs of lead. It cost around 75 cents a pound for the lead. 1 pound of lead yields about 30-40 balls. I use an old 2 quart pot and my BBQ grill to melt the lead. Put on heavy leather gloves and I use an old stainless steel serving spoon to pour the hot lead into the mould. With a little patients and practice I can make about 200 balls an hour. Yes it is easier just to buy them, but me and my 15yr son enjoy it and get to spend some good time together. Hope this helps
that sound awsome this is something that i really want to do. i just turned 15 and my mom isnt so "on board" so to say about me messing with lead. what do you think. Also is 0000 like buckshot. do you know what that would equal as a calliber like .44 and where did you get you mold. thanks man now youve got me all excited no more paying for ball bearings

·
Premium Member
71 Posts
that sound awsome this is something that i really want to do. i just turned 15 and my mom isnt so "on board" so to say about me messing with lead. what do you think. Also is 0000 like buckshot. do you know what that would equal as a calliber like .44 and where did you get you mold. thanks man now youve got me all excited no more paying for ball bearings
[/quote]

You should start with someone who has melted lead before. You have to have a well vented area to melt the lead, the proper attire also. Lead melts at 600 degrees so any exposure to skin in bad and serious. If you do it make sure you take your time to be safe. the mould was bought on ebay, but any place they sell reloading equipment should have what you need. goodluck

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
[/quote]

You should start with someone who has melted lead before. You have to have a well vented area to melt the lead, the proper attire also. Lead melts at 600 degrees so any exposure to skin in bad and serious. If you do it make sure you take your time to be safe. the mould was bought on ebay, but any place they sell reloading equipment should have what you need. goodluck
[/quote]

all right man maby ill let you know how it turns out. So there is no health risk when melting lead? If i did it in our bbq grill will it hurt it to cook with the grill after that. thanks a million

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
[/quote]

[/quote]

So if i did it in my bbq would there be any problems if i cooked using the grill afterwords? thanks

·
Premium Member
3,465 Posts
It's not recommended, but it's probably not going to kill you.

·
Registered
316 Posts
I wouldn't try it by myself. At 15, I woulda definitely ruined the grill.
I say get one of the lead moulds and do it that way.

But in all honesty, you aren't really hunting, so why use lead? Use stainless steel shot. It ricochets more, but with a proper target and safety considerations (including Safety eyewear), ss shot is a cheap alternative. You can get it at any Wal-Mart or Meijer, or bulk from some of the great guys on here like Tex.

Lead for me, is just for hunting personally. SS or Marbles are the route.

·
Premium Member
102 Posts
Hi JxMAN25<
Welcome to the hobby and the forum. Lead is not that difficult to work with after you learn how to do certain things.There are a few rules that are not to be broken or bent when working with lead .
#1 Be Safe
#2 Never work with lead around anything your going to eat with later.
#3 Never eat or drink anything while working with lead.
#4 The larger the quanity of lead your working with the more precise you must control the heat.
#5 never breath lead fumes.
#6 BE SAFE

A few things to keep in mind a DROP of water can make 20 pounds of lead in a melting pot EXPOLDE. Which burns anything it lands on and that means you,anything in your garage,and you moms kettles/spoons that your using. And if the hot lead lands on you , your on the way to the hospital !!! That is the most important information I can give you and it comes from experiance. I used to work in a small smelting plant and I saw Idiots get sick or have pots of lead explode on them , once they left to go to the hospital, I never saw them again !too many with burns !!

Now I hope I didn't scare you tooo much because moulding lead bullets/ round balls can be lots of fun. Be informed about working with lead/ research it on the internet. Get good equipment, It doesn't have to be super expensive equipment , I use only LEE Precision Brand lead moulding equipment. You can find this equipment online at ebay,Midwest shooters supply,or directly through Lee Precision . The main things you will need is a melting pot and a mould. You will also need a can/ soup can ( empty and dry) , a small lead ladel, a small amount of bees wax to flux the pot of lead and some lead. You can get the lead from many local sources ...... A pistol range, A tire shop ( Wheel weights), Scrap yards , rummage sales , boat yards, etc. There are many sources for lead if you just look around. Mean time I started out with 3/8 " steel balls . But the best advice I can give you , If you want it is too explore HOW to work with lead first and start rounding up the things you need, then when your ready for the big day ....go slow. Oh ya ....get a buddy involved ......it's safer to have a spotter just in case and you'll have a slingshot shooting partner !!

Have Fun,

-Scott

·
Tex-shooter
4,493 Posts
Never have water around!! -- Tex

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
ok thanks guys you have told me things i did not realize like water exploding lead. Is there a sertian kind of meltingpot i need or will a stainless steel old beat up cooking pot or pat work. Also do you guys recomend any one kind of or sertian mold... I saw the .440 blackpowder mold on lees website what do you guys think. How many can you do at once with this. thanks guys you have all been a great help

·
Premium Member
102 Posts
JUST MY OPNION ........I think for someone just starting out , go to ebay locate a supplier of steel balls and make/buy yourself a good backstop that will catch your ammo to reuse. This will be much more cost effective than just running out and buying ball casting equipment right now. Besides it will take a bit of shooting to figure what size balls you want to shoot. If you want to start thinking about melting pots , LEE PRECISION has both pots and moulds.

ALWAYS REMENBER : SAFETY FIRST WEAR SAFETY GLASSES AT ALL TIMES WHEN SHOOTING !

-Scott

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
i do have a backstop that i made. My family hunts and we go backpacking and camping all the time so i wanted to be able to hunt with it. From what ive heard lead is the best for hunting? So will a regular old pot that is out in our shop word for melting it? thanks guys

·
Registered
258 Posts
Yes, you can melt lead in your old pot. You also need a ladle that allows you to handle the molten lead.
.40-.50 Lead is best for hunting, but a 1/2" steel ball works just as well. You (usually) don't need much ammunition while hunting, so I recommend:

-Marbles or self rolled clay ammo for cost-effective plinking without backstop
-1/2" steel balls for shooting with backstop, and maybe for hunting
-7/16" lead (has same trajectory as your 1/2" training ammo for hunting exclusively.

This helps you to keep shooting costs and lead pollution low.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
ya your right i will use other ammo except when i go hunting when i receive my catty. Its awsome i just found out my grandpa that lives next door has 200-300lbs of pure lead. he also has an old portable burner i can use aswell. So now all i have to do is buy a mold. when you pour the lead into the mold do you have to run it under water to make it solid or does it cool fast enough. thans guys once i start making them ill let you know how it goes.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts