Slingshots Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Hi Iam Ruud from my back yard .
A frend came to me and asked me if I liked the Katapult as we call them here , and if I could make one ?

So after wachting a lot of movies on You Tube and leurning that the Katapult did not changed muts over the past 20 / 25 years Thats when I bild me self a slingshot !
Then the questions came !!!!
Thats why Iam on this forum .

This my son .
Cheers Ruud

·
Tex-shooter
4,493 Posts
Interesting concept. -- Tex

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
Looks cool!

What is the purpose of the rubber band that goes from the bottom of the handle to the arm brace?

I recommend changing over to flatbands, more power and less draw weight.

Jörg

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The ( rubber band ) is in fact a rope Becouse I dont have muts power in my hands I need the suport from the frame work , Iam not sure it is strong enought .

·
Brotherhood Of The Slingshot Nutz
2,153 Posts
Great slingshot ! Looks very strong. You might want to consider lowering the fork height to 4 or 5 cm above the handle for less torque against your arm and get rid of the super heavy rubber. Go with 17-45 Chinese Dankung looped tubes or get you some gold Theraband. Cut the Theraband with a taper from fork to pouch with a 3 to 2 ratio for the best performance. I also would recommend that you get in touch with Flatband, Tex-Shooter or one of the other venders on this sight to find you some first class rubber to use with your first class slingshot. You won't be sorry ! The pouch looks a bit too big also for speed. I recommend about 2cm wide and 7.5cm long with a hole punched for centering the ammo of your choice.
I'm not saying you are wrong, it is just that we all try to help each other with suggestions. You made one sweet slingshot!

·
"Southern Flip Style"
2,647 Posts
Fun looking concept!!!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanx for all of the comments .
I allready lowering the fork , becouse the tork on my wrist .
The idea at first was to make the band go down to the lower attachment point ( like I saw in the youtube movie from JoergSprave )

The only thing Iam missing ar the rollers ( blue dot )
The rope that hold the wrist band is allso gone !
Iam using ballbearing balls 6.5mm , 8mm , 9.5mm and 11mm I think the 11mm balls has the most impackt and the 8mm the most speed . But the 9.5mm I can hold the best while aiming .
How can I give the 9.5mm more impack ?
Is there a good place where I can buy the real flatband in Europe ( close to my backyard
)

Have fun
Ruud

·
2,153 Posts
"Fish" is in England and you can get ahold of him here on this forum for Theraband gold. He is a great guy.
Thanx for all of the comments .
I allready lowering the fork , becouse the tork on my wrist .
The idea at first was to make the band go down to the lower attachment point ( like I saw in the youtube movie from JoergSprave )

The only thing Iam missing ar the rollers ( blue dot )
The rope that hold the wrist band is allso gone !
Iam using ballbearing balls 6.5mm , 8mm , 9.5mm and 11mm I think the 11mm balls has the most impackt and the 8mm the most speed . But the 9.5mm I can hold the best while aiming .
How can I give the 9.5mm more impack ?
Is there a good place where I can buy the real flatband in Europe ( close to my backyard
)

Have fun
Ruud

·
2,153 Posts
The heavier your ammo the harder it hits when it gets there, but the longer it takes to get it up to speed to start with. For super hard hitting most like Theraband gold with .44 caliber lead round ball ammo. Fish has both of them along with slingshots if you might want to check them out too. With your extended fork design set up with Theraband gold along with the lower attachment point and rollers, you should be able to get .44 caliber ammo up to amazing speeds if you can pull it back and aim it.
The lighter your ammo the faster it travels out of the slingshot, but it doesn't hold it's energy well enough for hunting purposes. It isn't like shooting a .22 caliber out of a bull barreled rifle at 4,000 feet per second. A slingshot just doesn't work like that.
You want to be able to shoot ammo heavy enough to hit hard even if it is only traveling at 75 feet per second when it gets there.

·
Super Moderator
6,514 Posts
Good job Rudd, and the extra vertical bars aid in the stabiity too. Pretty cool! Welcome aboard! Flatband

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
Ruud, the rollers aren't necessary. You have chosen a slingshot style called "starship" (because it looks like the NCC-1701), with a foreward extended fork. The rollers I use are a different way to extend the forks, which I only do because wrist braces are illegal here in Germany. Without braces, forward extensions do not work.

Just cut of a few cm from the fork tips and re-weld the attachments. Then you should be all set.

Taper the bands to get more speed with the 9,5mm balls! With extreme tapering, I achieved over 100 m/s (325 fps). But be careful, extreme tapering causes band tearing.

Are you wearing safety glasses?

Jörg

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanx
I like to bild my self !
But that give me problems too

One of them is ................................. when I shoot the band bounce back on my hand
!
What did I do wrong in this disgine ?
How can I prevent this ?

Have fun
Ruud

·
Registered
691 Posts
Thanx
I like to bild my self !
But that give me problems too

One of them is ................................. when I shoot the band bounce back on my hand
!
What did I do wrong in this disgine ?
How can I prevent this ?

Have fun
Ruud
Its because your band set is too strong for that ammo you are using. Use heavier ammo or weaker bands.

·
Registered
175 Posts
From your name I can assume you are belgian or dutch.
Theraband can be ordered at the local orthopedical or medical supply store.
In case you are belgian, I would like to bring you into the belgian slingshot community, if you're dutch however, I regret to inform you slingshots of any kind are illegal there, but you'd still be welcome in the belgian competition, and you wouldn't be the first dutch member either

Also: Thereaband sells on ebay (german or english sellers)
Hope this helps,

/Dei

1 - 19 of 19 Posts