Slingshots Forum banner
  • Enter Our Dog Days of Summer BBQ Giveaway Now!  ENDING SOON

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
aka. bunnybuster
1,580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks
Today I got my new 18`` oscillating spindle sander. She is a beauty.
My other delta, spindle sander...quit oscillating. I must have worn out that function with all the sanding.
This new one is heavy duty, and quiet too.
So..I will see if someone can use the old one as it still works , even though it dont oscillate.

·
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
1,414 Posts
Hi folks
Today I got my new 18`` oscillating spindle sander. She is a beauty.
My other delta, spindle sander...quit oscillating. I must have worn out that function with all the sanding.
This new one is heavy duty, and quiet too.
So..I will see if someone can use the old one as it still works , even though it dont oscillate.
Oh I bet that makes the laborious process of sanding a whole lot easier!

·
Premium Member
1,707 Posts
If you lay the slingshot right up against the drum, does it sand a true 90 degrees? In other words, the area it sands, is it straight or does it sand more near the top and bottom or middle of what you're sanding?

·
aka. bunnybuster
1,580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok
Tolerance is great then. It sands square. It all depends alot on human pressure on holding the piece to the spindle. You of course, have to keep moving the piece, It depends how much wood you want to take off...but it runs great 90 degree. The nice thing about these machines, is that they are excellent for shaping too. Just a matter of practice, and you can do alot with one.

·
Registered
4,662 Posts
Great for you Tom! Nothing like a machine to make a project more enjoyable.

I am with you on that product. I don't have the same one as you. I bought the Rigid, oscillating spindle and belt sander combination from Home depot. It has made all the difference between wanting to make 2 or 10 at a time, so to speak. It is not high end, but it is and has been worth every penny.
I don't know about you but making slingshots gave me a reason to legitimize a new tool (ok, tools, also a band saw).

·
aka. bunnybuster
1,580 Posts
Great for you Tom! Nothing like a machine to make a project more enjoyable.

I am with you on that product. I don't have the same one as you. I bought the Rigid, oscillating spindle and belt sander combination from Home depot. It has made all the difference between wanting to make 2 or 10 at a time, so to speak. It is not high end, but it is and has been worth every penny.
I don't know about you but making slingshots gave me a reason to legitimize a new tool (ok, tools, also a band saw).
Absolutely Ray,
You can never have too many tools.
Time savers and no blisters on my fingers.

·
Super Moderator
7,029 Posts
Band saw, Dremel, and hand sanding is it right now for me in my little yard shed, but someday with some more room I would love to have a few more "helping hands". Tom, that is a great addition to a workshop. Great tool! Flatband

·
Registered
4,662 Posts
Yeah Jay,

I am picky about tools and wondered if the Rigid was going to be a disappointment. I couldn't justify buying/paying for premium tool or find the right combination of features. I didn't expect top end but I read reviews and they were good and yet, I still hoped for the best. You know how it goes. It isn't premium but it will give fine results. A worthwhile purchase in my opinion for the do it yourselfer production quantity.

·
"Southern Flip Style"
2,638 Posts
Very Nice!!!!

·
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
1,414 Posts
Band saw, Dremel, and hand sanding is it right now for me in my little yard shed, but someday with some more room I would love to have a few more "helping hands". Tom, that is a great addition to a workshop. Great tool! Flatband
I've been looking at getting myself a Dremel, which model do you have and which attachments do you use for making your excellent slingshots?

·
aka. bunnybuster
1,580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I've been looking at getting myself a Dremel, which model do you have and which attachments do you use for making your excellent slingshots?
[/quote]
I cant tell you or i have to kill you....
Just kidding.
my dremel is an electric model..300 i think? I use a straight cutting tool that is carbide tipped.
nothing special. They last quite awhile .
I have a mini plunge router attachment for the dremel, that is fun to use also.
I started out with a battery dremel, but she just couldnt keep up the pace:)

·
Super Moderator
7,029 Posts
I think mine is the Dremel 400 xpr. I do have an older Sears Craftsman that I just put new brushes in-that one works good now too. Kinda like the older ones better. They had more heft (weight) and a better feel. They are a great tool and well worth the money. Flatband

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.