Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have bought some antlers on ebay, a real catch. They are waaayyy bigger than I thought!

Several very cool natural frames can be made from that material, plus I will use other parts as handles.

Jörg

·
Premium Member
3,427 Posts
Regarding plastics, the only types I have trouble cutting or sanding are G10 and Carbon Fibre. Plastics with a soft nature or low melting point can be troublesome to buff though.

I should also mention low melting point metals such as pewter and bismuth alloys can be used for slingshots (with appropriate design), as can rigidly reinforced weaker materials like glass, ceramics, epoxy putty, silicone and Fimo/Sculptey.

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
I've always wanted to get a hold of an Elk shed for slingshots, can't wait to see what you come up with.

PS Love the natural pheonix!

·
Here to help and learn
781 Posts
Ahh, great pick up Jorg, I've been searching far and wide for some decent forks in the dropped antlers on the whitetails around here......no luck

Those nice big hefty forks will do nicely for you, and you'll never have to worry about your high standards for strength. I can't wait until you finish one of them up, I'm sure it will blow us all away as usual.

Cheers - John

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
you'll have to watch out though, because there are so large you will be tempeted to reduce them (especially the forks) to much smaller diameters. Antler has a rather porous structure inside. since these are starting so large once you get down to a reasonable size the strength might be compromised.

good luck though, can't wait to see how it goes!

·
Registered
606 Posts
Nice buy and i am looking forward to seeing what is in the pipeworks.

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It's deer, and yes, I will reduce it, which will weaken it some.

But the vise test is the vise test... any frame that survives this brutal abuse procedure is safe.

Jörg

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It is easily explained.

1. Wrap your slingshot handle in thick rubber or cloth.
2. Clamp it in the vise, at a position similar to your grip.
3. Attach rope instead of rubber bands
4. Grab the rope with both hands and pull as hard as you can.

A slingshot frame that survives that test will be safe to shoot.

Jörg

·
Registered
125 Posts
It is easily explained.

1. Wrap your slingshot handle in thick rubber or cloth.
2. Clamp it in the vise, at a position similar to your grip.
3. Attach rope instead of rubber bands
4. Grab the rope with both hands and pull as hard as you can.

A slingshot frame that survives that test will be safe to shoot.

Jörg
That's what I do, very simple !
For steel, be careful because they can twist ! I limit to 20 kg and I rather test welds stronger.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.