Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Missing Barns and Telling Yarns
985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been using cardboard boxes as catchboxes for the last few months, and decided it was time for an upgrade. I got a couple plastic bins from IKEA last week. The smaller I will use for slingshot and ammo storage. The larger one I've converted into a simple catchbox. I used a dowel rod and t-shirts for the backstop, and make a cheap bottle-cap spinner target (shout out to whoever posted that idea a few weeks ago). Because it's sturdy and comes with a lid, I can stack stuff on it or store it on my backporch without worrying about water damage. I haven't tried it out yet due to freezing temps, but when it warms up I'll be shooting 3/8" steel and we'll see how the plastic holds up. Hopefully it won't crack on me.

Attachments

·
985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nice design,it won't crack if you constantly hit the spinner!
Haha. If I was that good I'd just put out a coffee tin and shoot into it. No catchbox needed! I think the bottom/back of the box will hold up fine. I'm just not sure what will happen if I clip one of the edges. The box was only $8 so no big loss if it breaks.

Reactions: Tag

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Nice design. That should work.

I use a similar storage box as part of a redundant system - sheet stapled to the rafters, cardboard catch box w/ towel strips, and storage box. Hitting the storage box w/ 3/8 steel shot from single 1842 tubes will tear out large pieces, which can be repaired w/ duct tape.

Trunk Automotive lighting Bumper Motor vehicle Automotive tire

Attachments

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
Nice design,it won't crack if you constantly hit the spinner!
Haha. If I was that good I'd just put out a coffee tin and shoot into it. No catchbox needed! I think the bottom/back of the box will hold up fine. I'm just not sure what will happen if I clip one of the edges. The box was only $8 so no big loss if it breaks.
In the winter I actually use a coffee can for a catch box. I don't get much chance to shoot in the winter because of cold temps. If it warms up enough I have a coffee can filled with rags that I put a piece of card board over the opening. Just draw a circle on the cardboard, set the can on snow drift and shoot a few shots.

·
985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Nice! If you are concerned about hitting the lip I wonder if you could put some foam pipe insulator on it? Just don't expose the adhesive and you can still take it off when putting it all away.
That's a great idea! I'll give that a shot. If I can protect the lip of the box, I think the rest should hold up well. Any other blows to the plastic will be glancing, so the energy should dissipate pretty well.

Reactions: Samurai Samoht

·
Registered
4,105 Posts
Very nice litte design, shout our for the shout out haha. That was me that posted the bottle cap spinner, glad a few folks got some use out of it!

Enjoy the upgrade! As a sidenote the bin I use is made by Rubbermaid and Ive got a 'catch tray' taped to the front made of a cardboard box flap. Ill post a photo :)

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Beginner to beginner tip for MLI - if you shoot paper instead of a spinner you will see where your misses are going. In the photo of my catchbox, you can see a few hits and a bunch of high shots most to the left. This gave me some clues regarding my form and shot sequence. The paper target is a piece of cardboard with the center cut out and paper taped on top.

Keep shooting!

·
aka CYBORG
2,060 Posts
Like Chef, I use a lip across the front. I've switched to spinners - noisy can hits make my neighbors nervous.

Also, I'm going to try Fiveshooter's idea of a free hanging single pillow case for a backdrop.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,105 Posts
Sometimes those clear plastic bins can get brittle and prone to breakage if left exposed to UV light outside. I don't know what the IKEA tote is made of so you might be ok, just a heads up.
Another plus with a Rubbermaid bin, they're weather impervious aside from a little fading.

Sent from my SM-T280 using Tapatalk

·
Singing along with the voices in my head
442 Posts
Also, I'm going to try Fiveshooter's idea of a free hanging single pillow case for a backdrop.
It really works! I was super skeptical, but can't argue with the results :)

Just keep it floating off the bottom, and it sucks up all the energy and funnels the shots to the bottom.

·
Registered
602 Posts
It really works! I was super skeptical, but can't argue with the results :)

Just keep it floating off the bottom, and it sucks up all the energy and funnels the shots to the bottom.
I also tried this and got excellent results, except it worked best if I hung two pillow cases together. Bought the cheap Walmart pillowcase package for $5. And the 'black' color really makes my orange spinner target stand out. Works great!

·
Registered
4,218 Posts
I used those tupperware bins for a long time with good luck. If it came with a lid, you could cut out the center of it to protect the bin from shattering and confine the ammo. But of course, you'll have no lid.

·
985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Beginner to beginner tip for MLI - if you shoot paper instead of a spinner you will see where your misses are going. In the photo of my catchbox, you can see a few hits and a bunch of high shots most to the left. This gave me some clues regarding my form and shot sequence. The paper target is a piece of cardboard with the center cut out and paper taped on top.

Keep shooting!
Great minds think alike! I've actually got some paper targets and was thinking, "I ought to put this on the box and see where I'm grouping". The one downside to shooting an object is you don't often track where your shots are going. I'm just thinking, "Miss. Miss. Miss. It moved! Maybe the wind, but I'll count it as a partial hit!".

·
985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Sometimes those clear plastic bins can get brittle and prone to breakage if left exposed to UV light outside. I don't know what the IKEA tote is made of so you might be ok, just a heads up.
Yeah, I'll be keeping it indoors. It was a spur of the moment thing, but if/when it does break I'll probably spring for a Rubbermaid container from Home Depot.

Reactions: BushpotChef
1 - 20 of 22 Posts