Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
"Southern Flip Style"
2,647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just thought you guys might want to see my latest PS-1 Pocket Shooter. They kind of remind me of bamboo fly rods and Howard Hill bows of yesteryear. Both on my favorite list of things.

Attachments

·
Tex-shooter
4,493 Posts
And with the Bamboo, you can keep the grip narrow and yet have the fork some wider, because of the strength. Very nice work Palian. -- Tex

·
Registered
855 Posts
Bautiful, Pallan! It does remind me of my Hill Wesley Special.
Did you make it out of one of those bamboo lam cutting boards or did you laminate it yourself?

·
Resigned
5,563 Posts
Bautiful, Pallan! It does remind me of my Hill Wesley Special.
Did you make it out of one of those bamboo lam cutting boards or did you laminate it yourself?
Tensile strength of Bamboo is far superior to steel. I love my Bamboo Pocket Shooter at only 3/8 inch thickness by 2-1/2 inch wide and 4-1/4 inches long it fits neatly in my shirt pocket or any pocket. Some months ago while at Kohls there was a Bamboo cutting board on sale for 10 dollars and I made 8 pocket shooter from it. It is a pleasure hand carving Bamboo. I whittled my first one with a Boker Tree Brand Whittiling knife. No finish was used and cutting boards are water proof anyway.

·
Registered
803 Posts
Very nice

Just thought you guys might want to see my latest PS-1 Pocket Shooter. They kind of remind me of bamboo fly rods and Howard Hill bows of yesteryear. Both on my favorite list of things.

·
Registered
484 Posts
perfect work and craftmanship! lot of work in there! which maschines do u use? could u show them because i don´t know the english terms.

·
Super Moderator
6,610 Posts
Hey Pallan, heck of a job there Bud! Love the bamboo. Tough to work? Dusty? Stringy? Splitty?. I never worked Bamboo before. Very cool! Flatband

·
"Southern Flip Style"
2,647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks everyone for your very kind comments!!!
Let's see...some questions about the wood. I use pre-laminated bamboo that I cut into boards the width I use. I don't think it's anymore dusty than other wood, but then again, I do most of my work on a cylinder grinder. While working bamboo it tends to be a little stringy and can split off if say you bind up a file and tork it sideways while making a grove. Tools... on I just mentioned - cylinder grinder, belt sander, table saw, miter/chop saw, band saw, drill press, dremel tool. I'll try baumstamm put up some picks of machines later when I get time. Anything else is a "trade secret!"

·
Registered
56 Posts
great slingshot Pallan!!!! i couldnt agree more with you about the classic look..I have a howard hill bow and a bamboo fly rod
you have inspired me, im gonna have to make one out of bamboo now.

·
"Southern Flip Style"
2,647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
great slingshot Pallan!!!! i couldnt agree more with you about the classic look..I have a howard hill bow and a bamboo fly rod
you have inspired me, im gonna have to make one out of bamboo now.
OR... you could just buy one from me :0)

·
Registered
199 Posts
They do look nice. How much are you wanting for one and what bands will be used?

·
"Southern Flip Style"
2,647 Posts
They do look nice. How much are you wanting for one and what bands will be used?
Thank you Chuff!
My website has most all the information. If you need more contact me again.
My link

Would love to make one for you!

·
Resigned
5,563 Posts
Thanks everyone for your very kind comments!!!
Let's see...some questions about the wood. I use pre-laminated bamboo that I cut into boards the width I use. I don't think it's anymore dusty than other wood, but then again, I do most of my work on a cylinder grinder. While working bamboo it tends to be a little stringy and can split off if say you bind up a file and tork it sideways while making a grove. Tools... on I just mentioned - cylinder grinder, belt sander, table saw, miter/chop saw, band saw, drill press, dremel tool. I'll try baumstamm put up some picks of machines later when I get time. Anything else is a "trade secret!"
When you do the pictorial spread can you add a couple of cheeks like Baumstamm did. I would show mine, butt I dont want to shave it.

·
Resigned
5,563 Posts
And with the Bamboo, you can keep the grip narrow and yet have the fork some wider, because of the strength. Very nice work Palian. -- Tex
Your right about that Tex. My Bamboo Shooters grip measures 3/4 inch wide by 3/8 thickness and fits just right in my hand. Bamboo is light and impressively strong but super ez to carve or shape. I have made smaller Bamboo Shooters than the one I had posted. In some cases smaller is better.

·
"Southern Flip Style"
2,647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
what is a cylinder grinder?
It is also known as a "spindle sander"... I am using a simple form that has different size, replaceable sanding drums that chuck into a drill press.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts