Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
413 Posts
Grouse season opened today. Just finished up sanding and burnishing a new flip. It still needs some danish oil to really make the grain pop but it is pretty stunning as it is. (Pics don't do it justice).

Here comes the fun part, Guess the wood. Here are a few hints: It is made from my favorite tree, a common one in some parts of Alaska. The wood is notorious for crackling and sputtering when burned. The bark is part of my recipe for home tanning hides as it is extremely high in tannin. I have also used the bark of this to dye wool a reddish tan.

ZOrqRWT.jpg

rKCKPol.jpg

Enjoy! I will be back again with a picture once it has been oiled and waxed.

·
Mojave Mo
5,397 Posts
Sweet! However, I cheated and Googled my answer by asking "what woodbark is used in tanning hides". Before the internet and smart phones I had, and could, take top grades in infinite subject matters. My Father and his Sister's and his Father and Mother and were members of MENSA. Now when my kids asked me what the Moon is made of I tell them to go Google it because I am not sure anymore. My Brothers address and phone number are 'in my phone' and not in 'my brain'. Summary: Machines have already taken over the World, and we are all doomed.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,762 Posts
Sweet! However, I cheated and Googled my answer by asking "what woodbark is used in tanning hides". Before the internet and smart phones I had, and could, take top grades in infinite subject matters. My Father and his Sister's and his Father and Mother and were members of MENSA. Now when my kids asked me what the Moon is made of I tell them to go Google it because I am not sure anymore. My Brothers address and phone number are 'in my phone' and not in 'my brain'. Summary: Machines have already taken over the World, and we are all doomed.

I also qualified for MENSA. And now, I have to write the pin # to my debit card on the card in binary so I won't forget it for the hundredth time. MENSA folk are a bunch of stuffed shirts anyway. I'd rather hang with the guys on this forum. They are my kind of people.

·
Mojave Mo
5,397 Posts

I also qualified for MENSA. And now, I have to write the pin # to my debit card on the card in binary so I won't forget it for the hundredth time. MENSA folk are a bunch of stuffed shirts anyway. I'd rather hang with the guys on this forum. They are my kind of people.
Yes! My Pops graduated from Berkeley at 18 and went into the Navy to 'have some fun'. He helped develop missile guidance systems. When he got out he got a call from some 'guys in Texas who wanted to make pocket calculating machines'. He thought they were idiots because he believed everyone was capable of calculating multiple math problems in their heads (except me!). In fact, he thought everyone was an idiot.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.