Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My EDC is a 9mm Taurus PT-111 G2, which is a highly underrated pistol. Mine is accurate and goes bang every time I pull the trigger, and while it is easily concealable during cold weather, it's not so simple in the summer, or when riding my motorcycle.

I've been wanting another .380 ACP pocket pistol for a while. I had a Taurus PT 728, but it had a serious flaw. The magazine release button was too easy to push accidentally. Aside from that, it was very reliable. I had almost decided on a Ruger LCP, when I noticed that Academy was discounting the $289.00 MSRP to $229.99 and Taurus was offering a $35.00 rebate on their Spectrum, which made it less expensive than the heavily discounted LCP. Also, the Spectrum comes with 2 mags, one 6 round, and one 7 round, while the LCP only comes with one 6 round mag. Naturally, I went to YouTube and read the reviews, which were mostly very favorable. So, I picked up this little pocket pistol yesterday. When I unpacked it, I had another pleasant surprise. The nice folks at Taurus had included a certificate good for a 1 year membership in the NRA, worth $25.00.

I'll post an update next week after I've run a box of ammo through it.

Air gun Trigger Wood Gun barrel Everyday carry

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
5,204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I fired about 30 rounds through it last weekend, and while it is accurate and fairly comfortable to shoot, it is a bit picky about ammunition. I had some CorBon defense rounds left over from my last .380, and each round required two or three strikes to fire. The Spectrum is known to have a lighter than usual hammer strike, and it showed up with the CorBon. The Remington 95 gr FMJ worked perfectly until the last round in the mag, which stubbornly refused to chamber. I could duplicate this by loading 1 round in a magazine and trying to chamber it, and it failed to chamber every time. With 2 rounds or more, the first round chambered with no problem. This happened with both magazines. Finally, I tried some Hornady American Gunner XTP defense ammo and it functioned perfectly. Since this is a good defense round, I will just keep the gun loaded with it for EDC. Today I picked up some Winchester FMJ which has a similar profile to the XTP hollow points, and it chambers with no trouble. I'm heading to my hunting camp tomorrow and will find out if it fires every round.

For now, it looks like the Taurus Spectrum doesn't like round nose bullets or hard primers.

·
Super Moderator
5,204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I finally sold the Spectrum for 2 counterfit $100 bills, but that's a story for another day. I also replaced the PT-111 with a G2S.

My wife is worried about the lawlessness infecting the country of late, and decided to get a LTC. She selected a Ruger LCR, which is a really sweet pocket or purse gun, in .38 Spc. The recoil proved a bit much for her to shoot 50 rounds for the class, so she trained on my Taurus G2S. Today she passed the written test and shot 230 of 250 on the practical.

·
Super Moderator
5,204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The LCR is gone. Even for me, about 15 rounds was more than I wanted to fire at a time. It's hard to get proficient if it hurts to fire a round. I now have a Taurus G3C. I guess I should have kept the Millenium G2. I know people like to knock Taurus, but I've owned Model 85 .38 Spc, Model 942 .22 Mag, PT111 Millenium G2 9mm, PT738 .380, Spectrum .380, G2S 9mm, and now G3C 9mm. The only one to ever give me trouble was the Spectrum, which was finicky about ammunition.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.