Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys had to check in and share a big breakthrough for me with my release. The release I've been using witch is a standard tio of thumb, and index finger pinch on the ammo has always work great. But with my chemo and the nerve damage that came from it, I have been having issues with consistency not being able to feel the release and the ammo kind of goes where it wants when the numbness is bad. Recently the numbness has migrated right to the tip of my thumb where my release usually is, so today I had the thought why don't I move the release back by my first joint of my thumb and see if that will work?

I know it seems obvious I should have done this a while ago, but the numbness has really been over my whole thumb and just in the last week or so it's migrated to the very tip of my thumb so anyway tried it today after work and I was right on target hitting most every time and I can feel everything since the numbness was not that low on my thumb. It does feel weird to release from there because I'm not used to the feeling, and without any calluses it's definitely tender after about 50 shots. All I know is I have a solution now and I can build up the calluses until if I decide to I can switch back to the tip of my thumb once the neuropathy goes away in six or seven months.

Very happy to share this info since I have been struggling for the last couple of weeks to have anything nice to say about my shooting with the numbness in my hands.

Here is a picture of my lexan (polycarbonate) slingshot that I made. I will do a full review on what it's like to work with Lexan and how I like it this weekend.
Plant Wood Creative arts Twig Pattern

·
Registered
72 Posts
Glad you're making progress! Sure changing your seems obvious looking back, but shooting is just repetition of form. Changing your form goes against the very nature of precision shooting (when it worked for you in the past) so making a change and hopping a hurdle is huge, no matter how minor it seems. That's awesome man, glad you're on target!

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
811 Posts
Great idea Vince - glad to hear that you are sticking with it.

Can you etch Lexan? Maybe do a series called “Legends of the Slingshot.” Build a Lexan replica of famous slingshots and and etch a portrait of the shooter or designer.

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys, I went back out just before dark and was able to switch between the tip of my thumb and near The Joint of my thumb when I noticed a shot go astray. I was able to switch back and forth to give the numbness a chance to subside a little bit and did a great job with that method.

Yes you could definitely scatch in to lexan. I thought I would want to use some 400 grit sandpaper to rough up one side so you couldn't look through it, but I have found I'd like to see through version and it's some very cool material.

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I thought about polishing the edges when I first made it, but I like the contrast between see through and the opaque edge. it also makes for a great aiming corner for shooting almost like a fiber optic.

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'm not sure how you would polish polycarbonate to a see-through finish? I polished the fork tips with up to a 1000 sandpaper and they look very smooth but they're definitely opaque.

I made a 25mm spinner out of a scrap of the Lexan and it holds up incredibly well to getting hit over and over again. Just the slightest dimple where it gets hit and no cracking or breaking after a hundred or so shots.

·
Premium Member
1,311 Posts
That's a great looking slingshot Vince!
I really like the clear look also, like diamonds :love:
When I had a sprained thumb, I was holding between the first 2 fingers at the first knuckle, adapt and overcome my friend 🤠🍻

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Funny you mention scratches Reed. It didn't take more than about two hours before I got my first scratches and fingerprints all over the perfectly clear slingshot. It really bugged me at first but then I got enough scratches that you couldn't see individual scratches and now I just ignore them and have the general look of seeing through it.. I guess it would be kind of like when you get that new iPhone and it's completely pure and no scratches.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts