Slingshots Forum banner

New Starship in Space Dock

5362 Views 35 Replies 16 Participants Last post by  Martin
I had started this frame a few months ago and it had to be shelved for other projects. I got a chance today to do some work on her. Materials were: 2 -36" lengths of 3/8" Diameter Aluminum Rod bent in a vise and embedded in a length of Curly Maple anchored with Epoxy and 6 studs through the rods and into the wood. The bottom piece of wood is simply a 1/4" thick piece of pine to close everything up and make it look clean. Did some rough out today but was a little too cold on the fingers so surrendered to the warm house! This Starship will have a total draw of 40"s and the prongs are 3"s apart and only 1 inch above the frame-adding to an already inherently stable shooting platform. She needs more trimming out and a proper handle but she''ll be flying soon! I already bought the Aluminum rods for the next one which will be a "Prongs Forward design"(40" also) with an inside the throat band attachment. I LOVE THIS STUFF !!!! Flatband

See less See more
1 - 20 of 36 Posts
I have problem viewing your pictures. I'm really curious how she looks like.

I'm now a big fan of Starship.
Your slingshot Crazy Flatband,
I know the condition because i have it too.
See less See more
Thanks Louis, yeah we're sick Bud-all of us! But it is so cool that so many have it-I LOVE IT! Hey HOE, check this link out and maybe you can view all of the pictures Bud! Flatband

http://www.glowfoto.com/users2/Flatband/view.php?aid=36747
See less See more
You got a great photo album there! Glowfoto just doesn't always work with my computer sometimes. Now I saw it, great stuff! I love Forward-Prong design. Fast band changing, ease of taking off the bands.

I feel that I shoot an extended Starship better with finger support, as if I'm holding a handsaw, with my thumb and forefinger pointing forward. That way I get the natural feel like I'm shooting a simple fork, so that the extended fork doesn't move around. MAYBE I should design a finger support for my Starship.
Looking good so far....looks like it will "boldly go where no slingshot has gone before..."
See less See more
I just looked at your entire album. You are the man!
THE SICKNESS DWELLS WITHIN ME!!!!!!!! (And apparently with a lot of others on here too!)
Long LIve Slingshots!!!!!
See less See more
I really like those starships you make Gary.. One painted in black would be awesome!
One day I may try these, Looks good so far!
Gary, way to go, love the maple, should finish up awesome.Think spring Bud, Oyster Bay Cove is calling.
Philly
After finishing snow removal from work, I hung out a little to work on my Starship. I put a coat of "Jacobean" stain over the Curly Maple stock, let her dry,then sanded and sealed it the next day with two coats of Spar Urethane. The stain really brought out the Curls. I just have to get a suitable piece of leather for the wrist brace and she be ready to sing! She'll have a 40" draw with an extremely low prong to bed clearance ( 1 1/2"s) ( Hope it's enough?) WE'll find out soon enough! I love these things!
Flatband

See less See more
Beautiful slingshot Flatband !
See less See more
Thats about as good as it gets.
Awesome bud!
Philly
WOW, Just WOW!!! Watch out Klingons you're about to get your butts kicked..
Boy that looks really good. Nice design. Curly Maple Yea! (the Yea is a direct quote from many of Dgui's posts, I like it, it adds punch, Yea!)
I seem to have a big problem with glowfoto, your album 1st page looks blank to me, can't see anything new except for the old photos.
See less See more
Well ,I couldn't wait (find) a suitable piece of leather so I went ahead and duct taped a brace for this monster for the time being so I could shoot her. I might have cut this one a little too close to the bed-an inch- inch and a quarter is not much. First shot I took I experienced a fork hit! Haven't had one in awhile and it sure as heck got my attention! Very dicey frame this one is. I had to bulk up the brace a bit. When I finally got her shooting she was VERY fast and quite accurate but you have to make sure you are dead parallel with the base or else. You also have to make dead sure you are centered because it is a "Through the throat" attachment and only 2 3/4"s for the opening. Gotta watch these big boys, they can be quite challenging. I have to tweek a few things here and there but she really does fly!!!! I still love them but she is moody for sure!
Flatband
See less See more
1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.