Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's a pic of my new target. Now I can hear some of you saying "Hey Steve, I see the paracord, but where's the target?" Silly gooses, the paracord IS the target! I'm a believer of the aim small miss small theory, so I figured why not challenge myself. Using marbles, I am currently hitting it exactly 25% of the time (Counted and calculated, not estimated.). The cool part is that pretty much every miss would equal a dead walnut and quite a few would equal a dead acorn! And I just started this morning!

This is not a bragging post, even though I am extremely happy with my progress. I was super reluctant to join the forum when I saw the slingshots people were using and how good they were. I really never thought I would get even close to that level of shooting. But I decided to jump in and get serious about it. As a reminder and encouragement to new shooters... There will be a long process of finding out what you like and what works for you. Keep at it and make small changes at a time. Once you start to narrow down your preferences, pick a setup (same frame, pouch, elastic, ammo, hold, release, etc.) and then fill your pockets and shoot a LOT! Get that muscle memory and eye/hand coordination going full force. By then you should know what works and what needs to be changed. Then keep challenging yourself. In two weeks I went from regularly hitting a 2.5" x 2.5" target, to a 1.5" x 1.5" and now a single piece of 550 paracord.

Keep at it! You can do it!

Sleeve Rectangle Sports equipment Wood Mesh

Attachments

·
Registered
249 Posts
Great post. Totally agree with the "aim small miss small" idea. It wasn't until I started to reduce my target size that I got a real handle on how I was aiming. As a new shooter, it feels great to hit the target but once my shooting stance/draw/pouch hold/anchor point became more natural for me I was able to focus on smaller targets and hit them with consistency.

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
Nice shooting and great focus on what is important Stringslap. So true about target size and the consistency of using the same setup to get better.

Once a started working on my anchor and release with the same slingshot I became much better. I have an older folding catch box I haven't used in months and when i pulled it out I saw a 60mm spinner in it. I am now shooting at 40 and 30mm spinners and about 25% on my 20mm spinner...I forgot where I was only a few months ago.

Practice, Practice, Practice...

Cheers

·
Registered
3,376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That's great for the pouch hold and release. I only use it though when I'm too lazy to hang a can on the string. LoL !
Kind of what I did here! The cord was hanging in the back of my box when it was set up a bit differently. Every once in a while I would hit it by accident, so then I thought why not try on purpose!

·
Super Moderator
2,417 Posts
i have done that with the 12 guage shell and a BB gun-i was a kid- the shell was just sitting on the dge of a 2x4,and when i finally hit the primer,that shell flew back at me with some hate! almost wet myself. so of course i got all my friends to do it to LOL.
Yea, that was us as kids too, then we would tape marbles to the bottom of 10 gauge shells and use them as hand grenades. Always taking the shot out... most of the time :headbang:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.