Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
I've never used a slingshot but am looking for something I can throw in my backpack for self defense from people while in South America. It is nearly impossible to legally obtain or bring a gun, but slingshots are fine. I don't know the rules/guidelines for this forum and if a topic like this is off limits... but I was mugged (at knife-point) and know kidnapping/extortion without return is not uncommon in some of the areas I will be.

With 30 seconds of "researching" I was going to buy a Marksman 3061 off Amazon with a magnetic shot holder and 1/4" shot, but thought I should try asking some slingshot folk first to see if there are better options. Skimming these forums it seems getting after market bands is a wise choice and for some reason lot's of people are using wood instead of commercial slingshots. In my 10 minutes of browsing I didn't see a reason for this- is it better in some way? I would slightly prefer something small/light if possible. All suggestions are appreciated.

·
Premium Member
784 Posts
I'm a n00b myself, but there are a bunch of vendors and champion shooters here who will doubtless respond in short order, with some nice hand-crafted options that not only offer plenty of stopping power, but are lovely, accurate, a joy to shoot, and far more durable, in both frame and bands.

Yes, the factory models on amazon seem fairly wimpy ... not very durable frames, bands don't last long, sub-optimal stopping power, plus they'll set off a metal detector (if that's a factor for you).

As for ammo, you have several gaming/hunting/defense options: paint balls, ceramic, steel, and lead, in a variety of sizes. For heavy impact, you might want .44 cal lead or 1/2" stainless, whereas for hunting you might want something a little smaller and faster, like 3/8" lead or steel. Amazon sells a crosman ammo pouch to go with it. {http://www.amazon.co...ATVPDKIKX0DER}.

I'm sure a deluge of replies will follow quickly. Safe journeys, and welcome onboard.

·
aka. bunnybuster
1,580 Posts
For a beginner,
You can get a good commercial slingshot at a very reasonable price.
I like my Daisy F-16 steel wireframe. It has a good solid handle , and is quite accurate. I got one for $4.95
Once you shoot some, and get accurate, you may want to try something different.
Have you never shot a natural fork? or a Wham-0 flatband? an OTT?
You might want to try some wood frames before you condemn them.
Either way....everyone has thier preference in what they like best.

·
Premium Member
784 Posts
Also, dont forget to take a peek at our Vendor classifieds subforum here ... there are several threads by some of our members here who make excellent wares, and their thread and blogs are full of helpful information and pictures.

Another tip would be to frequent your local hunting and/or archery supplies store, and see if there's a local bow club in your area ... if there is, there may be a few local sling shooters in the mix.

·
Tex-shooter
4,461 Posts

·
"Southern Flip Style"
2,638 Posts
For what you describe my PS-1 in Multiplex would be hard to beat!!!

Order them with single "Gold Winners" or for more power, get the double "Ultra Power" Bands,

·
Super Moderator
7,029 Posts
Nice to have you with us Mountain Man. Do some reading on this forum about slingshots.You'll find a lot of interesting reading. Lot of very good slingshots out there from custom makers and the big commercial guys. Take a look and then decide what would be best. Based on what you said,I would think a small "Pocket Shooter" would do the trick. Have fun and good luck. Flatband

·
No other shooting sport compares.
6,434 Posts
First of all I am not sure a slingshot would be the best self defense weapon however. There are a few I would recommend.

1. A+ PS1
2. Saunders Hawk
3. Chief AJ Quickpoint
4. One from the other vendors (Flatbands Ergo is awesome, I dont own a bunnybuster but I have heard great things)
5. Dankung (Small and rugged)

·
No other shooting sport compares.
6,434 Posts
Oh and I forgot. You could always make one. Natural fork slingshots are awesome. Shoot one once and you will be hooked.

·
Premium Member
3,427 Posts
I've never used a slingshot but am looking for something I can throw in my backpack for self defense from people while in South America. It is nearly impossible to legally obtain or bring a gun, but slingshots are fine. I don't know the rules/guidelines for this forum and if a topic like this is off limits... but I was mugged (at knife-point) and know kidnapping/extortion without return is not uncommon in some of the areas I will be.
Get a decent tour guide and stay away from trouble and dangerous areas. Wear cheap clothes and carry cheap gear. Run at the first sign or trouble and if mugged, give him everything without a struggle. If you carry a Slingshot for self defence you will likely get yourself killed. There aren't many that you can carry ready to shoot without attracting attention. If you miss you are in serious do-do. If you hit you are in more serious poop. Yes, slingshots are dangerous and can injure or kill someone, but they cannot reliably do so no matter how skillful you are. Seeing as you're asking that question, you probably aren't a tournament shooter, so my advice goes double. If you were a well trained knife combatant, you might have a chance with a concealed dagger, but again that's 50:50 odds; history shows knife combatants are better at offence than defence. Even guns are no guarantee of life unless you have overwhelmingly more of them than the opposition can muster.

Google: South America Slingshot and you get this

And you know what always happens to Kenny.

No, my advice would be to stay out of trouble and shoot slingshots at home for fun.

·
Premium Member
784 Posts
Sagely advice from ZDP.

BTW, I was mostly just addressing the slingshot angle, not self defense.

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
Sagely advice from ZDP.

BTW, I was mostly just addressing the slingshot angle, not self defense.
Agreed, using sling-shots for self-defence is laughable to me (unless you use them as some kind of club). I've been studying self-defence for quite a while now, there are some world renowned Ju-Jitsu experts in South America, spend some money with them and try not to annoy anyone dangerous ... aside from that, I hope you hang around and enjoy this excellent forum.

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
Staying away from the whole self defence debate (which we all should do) I assume you are a adult and will do what you think is best no mater what anyone says and that's your right...slingshot are dangerous weapons what you do with them is up to you.

My suggestion for a well made, powerful slingshot that is easy to carry would be one of Perry's PS-1's.
You could also go with one from Bunnybuster, Flatband etc..etc. etc. remember the power comes from the bands not the frame.....
as for mass produced slingshots as opposed to handmade wooden ones...well most of us here prefer wooden slingshots for the simple reason that they aren't mass produced, the person who makes them is known to us, they come in a wide range of shapes sizes and functions, they are light, easy to carry and very much the work of a craftsman..mass produced slingshots are mass produced...some good some not so good.

and in the end if you have the desire you could quite easily make your own that will be just as funtional as anything that you might buy.

·
Premium Member
3,427 Posts
I'd like to elaborate a bit. No proper slingshot seller would market his wares as being suitable as a weapon. That's dangerous fantasy.

First, no slingshot is made that can be kept ready to respond to a threat as could a pistol. Second, even among those who know their pistols very few would advocate .22LR and smaller calibres as being suitable for combat. No slingshot made that could be carried on the street can remotely achieve the velocity and energy of a .22LR. They fall short by orders of magnitude. Third, in South America, people are armed to the teeth with real guns. Nobody in their right mind brings a bean flipper to a gunfight.

No doubt, someone in short order will be tempted to remind me of a Youtube video of a slingshot breaking a coconut or a pork shin. That shooter is a power lifter with the strength to crush ordinary mortals between his thumb and index finger (and the sense not to pick a firefight with an assailant.) Even he cannot make a slingshot that in anyway resembles the performance of a handgun or something that would give you a fighting chance against a desperate man with a garage-made zip gun.

The physics do not add up. Some members here have done a lot of research into elastic and pretty much found the limits of the performance envelope and elastic just won't do the job.

Proper slingshot makers sell slingshots that will hit the target with enough energy to punch a target card, plink a can or maybe harvest very small game. Anyone purporting to sell a slingshot as a viable self defence weapon is self-deluded or misleading.

I might add that anyone so marketing a slingshot would be in breach of law if they were to sell into a country such as the United Kingdom and many commonwealth countries and other jurisdictions. My own slingshot designs and bandsets are manifestly unsuitable to be used as weapons.

As harpersgrace said, buy yourself a slingshot for fun shooting, not self defence. Try a range of bands like Tex Shooter's easy to shoot but super accurate Target Bands, fish's magnificently powerful Hunter Bands, and finally make your own lightening fast butterfly bands to Torsten's pattern and you will not only realise that a slingshot would be a suicidal self defence weapon, but you'll be hooked in this sport forever and it won't matter at all that slingshots aren't for hunting people!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
ZDP- thank you for the advice, but I'd still rather have the slingshot. As far as I can tell there are not guides available in Guyana area or Sucumbios province anyway. A backpackers in Iraq turned me on to the idea of having a slingshot with, but it is 99% likely I will not use it. Should be fun to have in the future anyway.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.