Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I a new to this forum and have just started with slingshots about 3 weeks ago. To this point I have been posting on Mel's german slingshot forum and have just found this one. I have been involved in traditional and primitive archery for the last ten years. Making bows, arrows, quivers et cetera. I am enjoying the slingshots. My slingshot video links and pic's below. I notice alot of the same members are here from the other forum.
Chuck S.

My 1st Slingshot http://www.youtube.c...h?v=y-AoAz6w-zA
Making Clay Ammo http://www.youtube.c...h?v=RHo5H-FkRhU
My 2nd Slingshot http://www.youtube.c...h?v=fY4dA6zdYBQ
My next 2

·
Member, Brotherhood of Slingshot Nutz
11,147 Posts
They are all vry nice. Looks like you might be into the butterfly style of shooting?
Welcome to the forum.

·
Premium Member
3,427 Posts
I saw that first slingshot and got this warm and happy feeling. You have learned from a master and added your own style.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Dayhiker, I absolutely want to try butterfly style, soon.

TastelikeSnozberries, thanks. I thought I would like shooting the fork more than the monkey slingshot. Turns out the Monkey works better for me. Rention end? I am not sure what you mean (I am new) but if you are referring to the brown cord at left, that is actually a bowstring I made that happened to be laying on th shelf.

ZDP-189, Yes you are right that design is from Geko, the pattern I got from Sixer's post (both on Mel's forum). I have not tried any like this. I will add posts as I finish them. I am also totally impressed with Joerg's MIGHTY slingshots.

Chuck S.

·
Registered
241 Posts
by retention end I was referring to a hand sling instead of a slingshot, it's another one of my hobbies although it's considerably more difficult than slingshot shooting. That being said making bowstrings is pretty darn impressive, good work on everything!

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My brother is making a sling, as he had used when he was a kid. It is on my list of things to try, I am concerned I will whack myself in the head or foot with one.

·
Brotherhood Of The Slingshot Nutz
2,144 Posts
It is not hard to release the ammo, you will be fine. The hard part is learning to hit what you want to hit. I have made several slings for myself out of hemp string braided and a braided-woven pouch. They are very powerful with large stones.

·
Registered
241 Posts
My brother is making a sling, as he had used when he was a kid. It is on my list of things to try, I am concerned I will whack myself in the head or foot with one.
If you are concerned about hitting your head, you might consider this style of throwing, this isn't me, but it's the video I used to learn to throw this way, and it's the way I feel most natural and least like I'm going to knock myself out with.
if you try it you'll probably like it quite a bit, start with soft ammo if you can to reduce the chance of you breaking things you don't intend to break, they fly pretty erratically until you have it down

·
Registered
241 Posts
I've seen that one too, that guy gets insane power with that throw, personally I'm a bit too clumsy and too new at slinging to really feel safe throwing like that, and the fact that I nearly laid myself out with a rubber ball while trying that certainly doesn't encourage further attempts, but if you wanna go for it and you see better accuracy then by all means try it, I'd just recommend using a softer ball for practice and practicing a few empty pouched throws before throwing, just to get the movement down.

·
Registered
241 Posts
A Nerf ball might be a good idea considering my lack of coordination
be careful though, I've found that throwing things that are too light just wrecks accuracy, form, and consistency. The sling relies on a certain amount of centripetal or centrifugal force (my science is admittedly pretty weak) to launch the projectile and if that projectile is too light you'll just get frustrated, i used practice golf balls, but the very dense foam kind, and a practice tennis ball of similar material with decent results, but have since moved on to rocks, there's a whole forum dedicated to slinging full of people who know a whole lot more than I do as well as how to advice and the like.

·
Banned
904 Posts
A Nerf ball might be a good idea considering my lack of coordination
be careful though, I've found that throwing things that are too light just wrecks accuracy, form, and consistency. The sling relies on a certain amount of centripetal or centrifugal force (my science is admittedly pretty weak) to launch the projectile and if that projectile is too light you'll just get frustrated, i used practice golf balls, but the very dense foam kind, and a practice tennis ball of similar material with decent results, but have since moved on to rocks, there's a whole forum dedicated to slinging full of people who know a whole lot more than I do as well as how to advice and the like.
[/quote]
I cast 2 and 3 oz. lead egg sinkers for mine. Deadly and incredible performance. But an expensive endeavor.

You can inject a tennis ball with a syringe, (they self seal)just 50 cc of water will do it, gives a perfect weight. The water will stick to the sides of the ball when you wind it up so you don't have to worry about the ball being unevenly weighted. Makes nice practice bullets.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.