Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Member, Brotherhood of Slingshot Nutz
11,147 Posts
Toddy and I have been experimenting with tapering tubes by using a knotted string. If you have some green dub dub tubes and some yellow thera tube, please try using the following combo.

lengths to cut (before any attachment):

Green dub dub = 5"

Yellow Thera = 3.75"

I have about a 38-inch draw. If yours is shorter, then just use a 5/3.75 ratio to come out with what you need.

Here is what is meant by the "knotted string" method. See how Toddy is connecting the loops -- except that now we are just using a knotted string to join only two tubes straight, without a loop:

http://slingshotforum.com/topic/20352-pseudo-tapers/

Edit: Toddy, if you read this, please check your mailbox, it must be full. I tried to pm you.

·
11,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So the DD Is the loop and the yellow is the str8? And what helped you determine which to use as the loop? I think the stronger should be looped... At least from my findings.
Toddy's string idea is genious!
LGD
If I'm not mistaken, they join the tubes straight without a loop. I guess the stronger (green) will be at the forks and the yellow at the pouch.
Judging by toddy's post in the linked thread ( post 3). It is looped, but I could be mistaken too.
Duckman, as I explained above, we are now doing this without any loops. The reference was only to illustrate the knotted string. Davesteve has it right. Give it a shot. I think the red and yellow combo sounds workable. There needs to be lots of experimenting as to combos and the right ratios to use. For example, I used equal lengths of the tubes mentioned at first and that was too soft-shooting. But once I shortened the yellow it was gangbusters, tossing the half-inch steel downrange at a real good rate.

This approach was suggested by Toddy, and I think we can all have much fun with this.

·
11,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
i would use it to fire flechette darts made of 8" nails, for heasant n rabbit hunting, but would like to know what youguys think b4 i order a sh!tload of tubing n it turns out a bust experiment...
I can't say about the tubes, but I'd sure like to see some pics of your flechettes. :naughty:

·
11,147 Posts
Looks like fun! Any idea of longevity?
I am expecting lot of longevity based on the tubes used, because they both are durable in past experience. The only thing I don't know about is the connection... we'll see. So far I have a lot of shots, though. One of the knots came undone and had to be re-tied, but since then no probs yet and no sign of weakness.

A word of caution: don't melt the ends of the string, as it makes a sharp edge for the tube to wear out on. Toddy already had that problem.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.