Slingshots Forum banner

New Years Fork Roundup

2K views 24 replies 19 participants last post by  SLING-N-SHOT 
#1 ·
Spent a bit of time today cleaning out the garage, of some brush pile wood / forks I picked up a few weeks ago, that had been drying out.

The fuzzy looking bark ones are Pecan forks, the striped looking bark ones I have no idea what kind of wood, and the really old and rotten looking one no idea either, but I'm gonna call it Drew Bilbrey wood, because it looks like some of the rotten forks he turns into masterpieces, lol.....not sure if it's too far gone or not till I dig into it.
6613e4cbc91516f5b29df251b170197e.jpg
ead5492120a082138db36d84e7a9fe76.jpg
edd6c09726bcfa44d1401fe79f3efbd8.jpg
8aefeea34614b9f8bb435436360e0ea9.jpg
6c78f7beb4aea975ce451660ecea92dc.jpg
c432c4f80e0255c7874844b9101eb683.jpg
5f2d01bc9361af5b7972ad66a9c704c8.jpg
746f79c048d488f0036d4f5440147ce3.jpg
5dac8c5bf8a1f76056c3cc1c7ad947cd.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

See less See more
#11 ·
Nice stuff slinger! Looks like you had a one piece flute in mind for a couple of those,
LOL, nah, I don't have a way to bore out a one piece flute blank. Was more thinking some of the bigger limbs I would practice turning them down on the lathe into butt caps for sling handles or if big enough, a full one piece sling turned down

#17 ·
Those should keep you out of trouble....at least for a while ;) Round'em up, head'em up move'em out!!

Round'em up, head'em up, move'em out!! Yeah...I know...some people won't get it...but that's OK ^_^ :huh:
Rawhide [emoji41][emoji109]

#18 ·
Those should keep you out of trouble....at least for a while ;) Round'em up, head'em up move'em out!!Round'em up, head'em up, move'em out!! Yeah...I know...some people won't get it...but that's OK ^_^ :huh:
Rawhide [emoji41][emoji109]
half pack of smokes and sun glasses on at night

#23 ·
all the wood from this haul guys is still drying out, but man that stuff has some MAJOR cracks starting to form in it.....I should

have sealed the cut ends, but had no time.

I would love to know what kind of wood it is..........looks like Maple, but doesn't have the grain figuring of it, kinda very

plain grain inside, but is very dense / hard when dry, and still heavy when dry too.......it is prob some kinda ornamental

tree like a lot of landscapers plant.

#24 ·
all the wood from this haul guys is still drying out, but man that stuff has some MAJOR cracks starting to form in it.....I should

I would love to know what kind of wood it is..........looks like Maple, but doesn't have the grain figuring of it, kinda very

plain grain inside, but is very dense / hard when dry, and still heavy when dry too.......it is prob some kinda ornamental

Possibly ironwood?

#25 ·

Possibly ironwood?
nah, I think Ironwood is much darker toned, this is bone colored.
@ Treeman identified it as The Tree of Heaven

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.