Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,
I was watching Alone one day (like many of us have, I'm sure) and saw Fowler using a slingshot and it piqued my interest. I did a little research here and on Reddit and figured I'd jump into the hobby as cheap and as reputably as I can, so I bought a Daisy F-16, pulled the handle off and wrapped it with paracord. I like how it feels and I guess my question is, now what?
I've read numerous posts about switching to flat bands, gypsy ties, facing the tips forward etc. But why would you do one over the other?
I am aware that a lot of this is personal preference, but where should I even start?
My goal is a bunch of target practice this winter and then small game hunting in spring and summer. I've seen some hunting setups with flat bands and some with tubes and I'm not really opposed to going either route on this thing, I just don't want to waste time and resources I suppose.

Also,
I've only seen one other post on here about it, but why do slingshots like the F-16 have the tips of the forks bent? With proper set up could you cut those off, potentially shorten the forks and have an even better shooting slingshot?

Hopefully nothing here is too awfully redundant and if so please point me in the right direction.

I possibly attached a photo of my F-16 currently, nothing y'all haven't seen before I'm sure. But it was fun to do!

·
See The Target
21,440 Posts
Welcome to the forum .

In answer to your questions :

" I've read numerous posts about switching to flat bands, gypsy ties, facing the tips forward etc. But why would you do one over the other? "

Flat bands are more adjustable to taper and draw weight .

Gypsy tabs enable the attachment of looped tubes to the wire frame .

Facing the forks forward gives you an extra inch or so of draw length .

You should choose flat bands . They are just better .

" I am aware that a lot of this is personal preference, but where should I even start? "

Start shooting with a light set and learn how to shoot . Watch how to videos . Read forum topics . Practice and have fun doing it .

" but why do slingshots like the F-16 have the tips of the forks bent? "

The F16 is a " Big Box Store " slingshot designed to use single 1/4 inch tubes . If the fork were not bent the tubes would wear out and tear within 10 shots from the acute angle .

Dive in and start shooting . Don't over think it . " Over analysis will lead to paralysis . "

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Excellent, thank you so much for replying. I really appreciate it. I've been doing some reading and I agree that flat bands seem to be the way to go, at least to try for starters. I've seen a lot about rolling the tube down the fork towards the handle, laying the band down the rolling the band back up. It seems to be a good idea, but that gets rid of the option to point the forks forward right? Or is pointing then forward really that big of a deal?

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Welcome to the forum. I am a UM graduate - Go griz!

I am attaching a photo of a Trumark WS-1 that I modded by wrapping the grip w/ leather, similar to your paracord wrap. I used gutted paracord to make gypsy tabs to attached pseudo tapered 1842s. This is a very forgiving set-up for targets. It is a great set-up for 3/8 steel shot. You can also wrap and tuck flat bands. Bill Hays of Pocket Predator designed a really cool solution to attach a good band set to a wire frame slingshot. Check out his web page.

While tubes are not considered as accurate as flat bands, tubes last a long time.

Trumark WS1 mod 001.jpg

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
6,543 Posts
Welcome!

·
See The Target
21,440 Posts
Excellent, thank you so much for replying. I really appreciate it. I've been doing some reading and I agree that flat bands seem to be the way to go, at least to try for starters. I've seen a lot about rolling the tube down the fork towards the handle, laying the band down the rolling the band back up. It seems to be a good idea, but that gets rid of the option to point the forks forward right? Or is pointing then forward really that big of a deal?
Not a big deal at all . The " Chinese Handcuff " method you described works well .

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Okay right on, thanks! I really do appreciate all the advice here and am excited to get shooting with this thing.
Nice work on the paracord wrap.

Try a cord lock on the wrist sling so you can get it tight - this will help when you draw the slingshot.

Use some isopropyl alcohol as a lubricant and slide the tubes all the way down to the grip and then cut them off at the end of the fork. Now you have a rubber surface to try a pinch grip or a thumb braced hold. You also have a good surface to wrap and tuck your flat bands or to wrap and tuck gypsy tabs for tubes.

Have fun!

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
Welcome to the forum. My modified F-16 is my favorite shooter. I use the "Chinese handcuff" method to attach flats but I also use the small latex tubing from Simple Shot. It works well for me.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So where might one get tubes to slide over the forks? I know it's got some on it, but I'd prefer black just for the look of it.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
So where might one get tubes to slide over the forks? I know it's got some on it, but I'd prefer black just for the look of it.
I use the large black tubing from Simple Shot for the "Chinese handcuffs". I use alcohol for a lubricant to get them on. They go on a little tough but alcohol makes it easier. I leave them sticking out a 1/4" past the forks and roll them up and down a few times until they want to roll up easily. Then I trim them even with the fork tips. Sometimes when you first start to roll them they will work farther onto the fork,that's why I leave them long at first.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Oh okay, so like a whole tube set with a pouch and everything and you just use the tubes? Would that be the 1745 bands? Maybe from this link?

https://simple-shot.com/vip/dankung-tubular-rubber-bandset-assemblies/

Sorry for all the questions, I'm sure most of this has been answered a handful of times, and again please feel free to point me in a direction of a thread that's got all this covered too. I appreciate all the help though!

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
I think the tubes that i use for the Chinese handcuffs are listed as large latex tubing under bulk elastics. I can not get the Simple Shot website to work I would post a link.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Oh man, thank you so so much. I couldn't find those for the life of me. Typing in "bulk" or "tube" into search on the Simple Shot site got me there though. Again, thank you very much. I'm excited to put together an order from them and get to practicing.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
Are you planning on buying pre-made bandsets or making your own? Making your own is not too difficult and doesn't cost near as much as pre made bands. Making your own allows for more customization too.

·
Grandpa Pete
1,419 Posts
Welcome. You'll find a lot of information and opinions here on the forum. I agree with Treefork...don't over think these things just shoot whatever you have, it will evolve and you will develop your own style and preferences. My advice is to start collecting some natural forks, buy a few band sets and have fun.

GP

1 - 20 of 22 Posts