Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Resigned
5,547 Posts
Pickle Fork Equipped w/1745 Tubes and ultra thin pouch w/centering hole.

Shooter is 1/4 inch thick Baltic Birch and has contoured top end of forks for bands to remain centered.

This shooter is ultra accurate, ez to shoot and hand slaps are non exsitent.

Just one more thing the cost for a shooter like this w/o bands or pouch is .81 cents each so when I buy a 36 inch section I can get 8 shooters from it.

Attachments

·
Resigned
5,547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Do you shoot flip? Or maintain your grip at that angle?

Do you mind people copying you?
I see no purpose to flip a slingshot when releaseing the pouch. My preference is to hold all my shooters at the degree of angle you see. Pointing the shooter at the intended target works best for me this is how I shoot intuitively at any range. All of my shooters are small, even smaller than any of the Dankungs. The overall measurements are 4-1/8 inches Long 2-3/8 inches wide the opening between the fork at the top is 1 inch The forks measure 1 inch long Each fork is 3/4 inchs wide and the groves are 1/4 inch wide by 1/8 inch deep. But you can skip the groves if you wish to use flat bands and just round over the top edges of the fork. And of course you can always just scale it up if you enjoy shooting a larger slingshot. There a numerous reasons I find that smaller is better. I make my shooters out of very strong plywood actually it is model airplane plywood because it has no gaps I do not like shooters that are generally thicker than 3/8. If you make one let me know how it works out for you.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I'm thinking about it. At the very least, it'll make a great bbshooter (got tons of steel bbs).

Would you mind tracing out a stencil?

Suppose I can't find any of that plywood. What sort of hardwood and at what thickness would make a good substitute?

·
Resigned
5,547 Posts
I'm thinking about it. At the very least, it'll make a great bbshooter (got tons of steel bbs).

Would you mind tracing out a stencil?

Suppose I can't find any of that plywood. What sort of hardwood and at what thickness would make a good substitute?
The pouch that I find works super for this shooter or any shooter by my experience is if the leather is slick on one side or finished and the size I cut is 7/8 inch wide and 2-3/4 inch long with a thickness of 1/16th inch.

Dont let the size of this type of shooter cause you to think it is not up to the task that large oversized shooters can dole out. I have not shot bbs before but I shoot 3/8, 7/16 and 1/2 inch steel ball and I like the 1/2 inch white glass shot and my all time favorites are 5/8 marbles.

You can get top quality pre-cut squares or lengths of this type of craft wood at places like Michaels arts and crafts and also Hobby Lobby but if you have a model airplane store in your area they may have excellent quality wood.

I no longer make any shooters with solid type of wood because the forks can and do break and become easily damaged now the opposite is true with plywood. Plywood can take a pounding and is many times stronger than that of any hard wood. But if I were to make another solid wood shooter it would be Poplar. Very easy to cut, carve, shape, sand and it can take a few dents. I however now completely avoid fork hits because I hold my shooters like im pointing with it and also never any hand slaps for this same reason.

About securing the bands to the forks. I for a long time no longer make this round about grove to hold the bands. There is plenty of flat area length either for flatbands or tubes to simply wind very tightly band to secure bands. When securing tubing make sure the direction of the pouch corresponds in proper position to the forks. I put a temporary ruberband to secure the tubes and then line it up and wind it while it is positionally proper this is so when you are shooting and reloading that the pouch always falls right and open for the next shot.

Just one more thing. About the stencile, just copy the first picture of the shooter and you might enlarge it first to the size you desire then print and cut out and there will be your pattern to make it EZ.

The Pickle Fork is not just for bbs. Check the two pictures attached and see the result of a 5/8 marble pounding and penetrating a shave cream can and then moving it. The can was about 2/3rds full so it took some force to push it.

I will be curious how this turns out for you.

Attachments

·
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
1,414 Posts
I really like your designs Dgui, neat, compact and no nonsense!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.