Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So before anyone asks why I didn't post this in 'The Art of Shooting', it's primarily because this could get a little off topic and I'm totally fine with that. What we aim to discuss today are not just different ways of shooting, but combining your carry method with your shooting method etc. for your preferred setup. Do you just throw the frame and some steel in your glovebox? Do you carry a pocket shooter with a magnet for your ammo? Do you wear your frameless rig as a bracelet or necklace?

Also, when it comes time to shoot - do you shoot short draw, long, 3/4? Instinctive, aimed, flip, no-flip - & why?

Personally I'm either shooting short draw, aimed. 3/4 draw, instinctive. Or full butterfly, aimed. I started out long draw instinctive as a kid, eventually I wanted to be able to aim so I started practicing that in my late teens. I shot aimed only for about a year and a bit between 19-21, but as of late (27) I've been shooting almost exclusively instinctive. The reason being I'm getting to the point where aimed shooting no longer provides the same thrill it once did, unless I'm hunting or REALLY challenging myself target shooting. When I just want to go out and have fun, I go to the playground near my house with a couple pop cans, toss them about and shoot instinct only for a few hours. It becomes absolutely Zen after a while lol.

Anyhow, share your thoughts, ideas & pictures of your setups. Take care guys & get out and shoot something!

·
Registered
477 Posts
I have a 30in draw, hold at a 90°, and aim. I have only been shooting for about a year I tried other setups butterfly I feel like I'm going to hit my head and if I dont aim who knows where it will go. Heck I still sometimes lose it.

·
Premium Member
1,750 Posts
Cracking topic and looking forward to all the options.

For light bands (0.55 or less) mostly medium draw (but sometimes short draw), heavier bands and tubes short draw. On the whole I aim briefly. Carry when not in use is in a pocket, unless frameless in which case around the wrist as a bracelet. Always carry a magnetic leather ring, but ammo could be in a plastic bag in my pocket or in a leather pouch on my belt. Ammo can be clay balls, steels or marbles. Occasionally Chinese fishing arrows if I'm feeling reckless.

Targets can vary to one or multiples of paper (target or game style), spinners, chalks, lighters, matches (not ignited one yet), foliage (getting better at this), cans, could be others lol Targets shot at varying heights and ranges, cans excellent for this as a good shot can increase distance and visibility every shot.

Why ... because I like variety and want to be competent across the discipline. Also getting (got) old and one constant style causes aches and pains or even strains. I also find it very therapeutic, back in the day I had what they called burn out (almost six months of my life I cannot remember a thing), now it would be correctly identified as PTSD (such is the way of four years in police / law enforcement but is worth it) Most of all I do what I do because it's fun and I still need a challenge in life.

Sorry run of of likes again, but will be catching up later lol

·
Registered
4,770 Posts
well,i also shoot a variety to avoid arthritis/carpal pains,almost exclusively pinch *gansta style* only a couple of frames can i shoot instinct with,with any kind of accuracy [one of those being LBS Baby] with lighter bands and office rubbers i usually use a short to long draw,depending on frame and wistance,with the heavierbands and tubes usually long or 3/4 draw,i dont really hunt for anything smaller than a rabbit ,most ly cans pinecones spinners and hanging spray paint cans.i dont shoot PFS because of two chips in my knuckle from *frame hits* and full butterfly just doesnt really suit me.my main carrys are cargo or shirt pockets depending and usually just a leather pouch or rubber pinch purse/coin holder thing [got it from simple shot] a lot of times its just a handful of marbles in the front pocket and a natural in hand :)

·
Premium Member
11,515 Posts
First of all thanks for this post, it made me realize how I actually shoot when I’m doing well (for me) I shoot the same way as When I shoot clay pigeons. I see the target pull up the slingshot and when the slingshot comes in to view I release the ammo.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts