Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I realize that this part of the forum is mostly “Natty Country” and I have built and enjoyed many of them myself. But, maybe you are ready for something different. If so, then read on...

The Nifty Quickie is a great sling that is really easy to build. The key element is a fork made from a U-shaped tool holder that has a lag bolt welded to the bottom. The U-shape has a black rubber coating that is ideal for gripping latex slingshot bands.

This sling was the easiest that I have ever built. It is even easier than preparing a natty. There’s no bark to remove and you don’t have to worry about drying a wood fork.

Here are photos of the tool holder and the completed sling. It’s a little rough-and-ready looking at this point, but it shots and handles very well. It can be made prettier, but it works great just as it is.

Font Composite material Fashion accessory Event Wire

I found my tool holder fork at Home Depot in the hardware section. There seem to be similar items available at Walmart (online only) and Harbor Freight. There are smaller versions available, so be sure to look for the “Heavy Duty Tool Holder”. It is rated to hold 50 pounds, which should be plenty for most slingers. The Home Depot version I bought cost $2 and was made by Everbilt. The model number is 1000 996 447. The size shown on the label is ¾ in x 5 in.

Font Auto part Magenta Cable Fashion accessory

The forks are approximately 3.2” wide measured to the outside edges. I cut 7/8” off the tips of mine to lower the fork height. I filed the tops smooth to avoid band nicks. The outside width is now 3”. You could cut more or nothing from your fork tips. Choose what best fits your shooting style. The gap between the forks looks narrow but it is a generous 2”. (For comparison, the SimpleShot Sparrow, which is also a great sling, has a gap of 1 ¾”.)

The 3/8” steel U shape is welded to a lag bolt at a slight angle. The uncut tips are also slightly bent a bit more in the same direction. You can choose to make this small angle tip toward you or away from you. I chose the tip-away-from-me orientation.

Spindle Finger Wood Electric blue Thumb

The lag bolt is approximately 7/16” in outside diameter. I chose about a 13/32” drill bit for the hole in the handle. Be sure to test your hole size and the lag bolt in a piece of scrap wood that’s the same size and wood variety as your handle will be. Avoid making the hole too small. The big lag bolt in a small hole can put enough internal pressure on the wood handle to split it.

Audio equipment Cable Wire Glove Gadget

I kept my handle very basic. Note the diamond shape orientation where one diagonal is pushing into your palm. This makes a natural shape that is easy to hold and build. I cut a 1 ½” square piece of Pine lumber and then cut the gently curving shape you see.

Snake Gesture Wood Scaled reptile Reptile

Use wrap-and-tuck to attach your choice of latex bands to the sling. I tuck the excess tag end under the band so the tag end takes the wear of rubbing on the top of the fork. You could also install a short piece of latex tubing over the fork end or use tabs to perform the same wear fighting function.

The sling is quite compact. It just about disappears in the hand and it shoots really well. The 3/8” steel U shaped forks are very tough. No fork hit will every break this sling. I think it has a nice, gently curving shape that seems to invite you to pick it up. Presently, the sling wears a rough, home-made pouch, but it has earned the right to wear one of member Rayshot’s fine pouches. He has an amazing variety of sizes, thicknesses and quality leathers.

Leg Reptile Purple Gesture Finger

There are many ways to pretty-up the sling if you wish to do so, but it works very well in the basic form. I eventually took off the rubber coating. If you wish to do that, the coating is easy to slit with a knife and remove. I then used short pieces of large diameter latex tube to provide a grippy surface at the tips for band attachment. The tubing hangs over the tips a bit to keep the bands from the metal edges.

Font Headphones Audio equipment Fashion accessory Metal

The Nifty Quickie is an economical, quick build, uses minimum tools, looks good and performs well. It is everything that you need in a sling and nothing that you don’t..!

·
Registered
811 Posts
Dude - great build! Especially for those of us who are wood-working impaired. And it has the wll Seal of Approval.

Give it a fancy name and start a marketing campaign.

·
So Many Marbles ------------- So Little Time ;-)
4,326 Posts
I had to run down to Home Depot, get one and make my own - Used a small piece of aluminum, glued it in, and gave it a wrap with hockey tape --- Put a finger lanyard on her along with a small band and pouch.and will shoot some 3/8" steel with her this weekend.

This set up makes for a very nice sling, I like it a lot.

Thank you @ZippyBands you got a real winner here ;- )

wll

·
SLING-N-SHOT
3,901 Posts
Definitely gonna make one of these, great hack [mention]ZippyBands [/mention], thanks for sharing brother !

I would also like to add….natties are NOT easy, not if done right that is, lol.
( way, way more work than a board cut sling )

Darrell.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
AppalachianFlipShooter
I'll bet that thing would be smashing for shooting long distances with that fork width!
The sling is pretty efficient, depending on the bands and ammo you choose. It is also tough and can take daily use/abuse. Like you, I tend to like smaller forks. These just seem to naturally work well for me.

High Desert Flipper
Awesome and resourceful hack!
Sometimes the most obvious things take a while to ferment in one’s mind. This sling was a nice surprise in performance and appeal.

skarrd
very cool idea,bare bones slingin,i like it!
You are right, basic can be very good! The simple pleasures bring us back to why we started slinging in the first place.

Your second reply indicates you may have found a suitable “tool holder” in your “random supply warehouse/garage”. I am sure that you will have your own unique design for this sling.

hoggy
SWEET, me like
As you indeed guessed, the sling is easy to like and fun to use!

wll
Nice, that is a simple off the shelf item that you turned into a great sling ... I love it --- As a matter of fact I may just get one and set it up ;- )

I had to run down to Home Depot, get one and make my own - Used a small piece of aluminum, glued it in, and gave it a wrap with hockey tape --- Put a finger lanyard on her along with a small band and pouch.and will shoot some 3/8" steel with her this weekend.

This set up makes for a very nice sling, I like it a lot.

Thank you @ZippyBands you got a real winner here ;- )
I am happy that you took the concept and put your own spin on it. It’s a very versatile sling design.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Tobor8Man
Dude - great build! Especially for those of us who are wood-working impaired. And it has the wll Seal of Approval.
This is one of the easiest builds ever, but it still produces a very good performer.

vince4242
Very cool! Kind of like a version of the F-16. Awesome!
It is likely there is an F-16 cousin somewhere in the lineage. I do own other wire/rod frames and like them a lot.

raulvillalobosjr
tbh, i like the handle
The handle is one of several interesting surprises of the build. I experimented with different shapes and tried to get one that fit my hand the best. The gently curving shape met that requirement and it’s simplicity is appealing on it’s own.

Ubamajuba
Off to the depo i go 🤩. Great hack, gonna make one.
I am surprised that the Home Depot has made it to your country. I hope you found the Heavy Duty Tool Holder in stock there. Let us know how your build goes.

SLING-N-SHOT
Definitely gonna make one of these, great hack [mention]ZippyBands [/mention], thanks for sharing brother !

I would also like to add….natties are NOT easy, not if done right that is, lol.
( way, way more work than a board cut sling )
My reference to nattys was for the very basic versions. You are right, it does take work to get to “presentation grade” for natties and for other kinds of slings as well.

leon13
Adopting and Modding is always a lot of fun,very nice build
Yes, experimenting and finding solutions to problems are a big part of the fun of being a slingshot fan. There’s always one more thing to figure out on your way to “perfect” or at least “good enough”.

·
Registered
3,820 Posts
they are easy and adaptable,made this in about 15 minutes and was shooting it,shoots like a peghead but easier to tie the bands on,extremely accurate .used a very short piece of "handle" cause most of my fingers are on the fork,keeps it pocketable.really liking this ,Thanks again Zippy for the idea and inspiration,
Snake Finger Reptile Scaled reptile Gas
Finger Reptile Scaled reptile Thumb Terrestrial plant
Hand Finger Street fashion Nail Thigh
Sleeve Wood Gas Bag Personal protective equipment

1 - 20 of 36 Posts