Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I've had it with this wood. Too tempermental. I tried 4 different finishes on this frame(single slot-not cut yet) and everything made it darker( and it's already dark-bleach anyone?). I tried Gloss Spar Urethane (my old standby),Gloss Spray Lacquer,Bolied Linseed Oil,and then stripped everything off with Acetone and finally went with an Olympic Deck Sealer and an Industrial floor wax finish coat (3 coats). Still not happy-but it's acceptable. Hope the thing shoots well!
Flatband

·
Registered
331 Posts
Well, I've had it with this wood. Too tempermental. I tried 4 different finishes on this frame(single slot-not cut yet) and everything made it darker( and it's already dark-bleach anyone?). I tried Gloss Spar Urethane (my old standby),Gloss Spray Lacquer,Bolied Linseed Oil,and then stripped everything off with Acetone and finally went with an Olympic Deck Sealer and an Industrial floor wax finish coat (3 coats). Still not happy-but it's acceptable. Hope the thing shoots well!
Flatband

LOL, it's so dark you almost can't see your logo. Although I like it! Have you tried bee's wax? I think just about everything will make it darker. Some exotics are so oily that you almost don't need to use a finish.
For the heck of it I'm posting something I found a little while ago. Maybe it will help others who are new to different types of finishes.
http://www.woodbin.com/misc/eco_wood_finishes.htm

·
Premium Member
1,714 Posts
I think its just that peticular piece. It doesn't appear to have any of the highlites in it. Not your fault, nor does it look bad. I've had a couple of those myself. Its just a dark piece of cocobolo. I bet it shoots great!

·
Registered
3,147 Posts
I like it dark. Looks like it will be a great shooter

·
"Southern Flip Style"
2,647 Posts
I like it too Gary!!!

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
Is there a reason why it should not remain unfinished ?
My cocobolo shooter is unfinished, just polished. Very shiny - but it has darkened, too. Maybe from the light, maybe from the hand grease. So I think you have to protect it with a coat of whatever does not darken it too much.

·
Premium Member
3,465 Posts
It's meant to be that colour. You've really helped me. I always finished Cocobolo with a neutral buffing and no coating as coatings have a way of chipping off knives. I wanted this colour and all I could get was orange with brown streaks till it had aged.

·
Member, Brotherhood of Slingshot Nutz
11,245 Posts
Maybe I've got bad taste . . . I really like the looks of that slingshot, FB

·
Super Moderator
6,538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I guess it's just me then. I have to see a lot of grain or I'm just not happy. Think I'll have to stay with the lighter stuff or just deal with it. Bees wax? I'll try it!
Flatband

·
Registered
331 Posts
I guess it's just me then. I have to see a lot of grain or I'm just not happy. Think I'll have to stay with the lighter stuff or just deal with it. Bees wax? I'll try it!
Flatband
Ya, I have used it on burl pipes. Its a fairly hard finish when buffed out. Shines like buffed lacquer.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts