Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
(Okay so I know Joerg has posted a no -weld version too).
Recently, while I was complaining about how strict Australian law is , one of the guys on the forum suggested I build a W style slingshot.
There is a lot to recommend the "W" design , nice low forks , no need for a wristbrace and technically it doesn't breach Australian law (though it might attract a little interest) and allows me to use plenty powerful bands if I want.

With that in mind I went a built one from PVC plumbing fittings and epoxy resin. For the two load bearing joints I used galvanised iron as the PVC joins were too thin and kept tearing under the torque.

If you haven't made or shot a W sling I'd strongly suggest it. Great angle of pull (even with a wrist brace you're fighting the pull across your forearm , no such problem here!).

For me , there is the added bonus that parts are compatible with my Bow-sling (which I might convert for bowfishing later, hmmm).

Pics below.

Mike

Attachments

·
Member, Brotherhood of Slingshot Nutz
11,245 Posts
How do you think this would work out using soldered copper tubing?

·
Registered
3,147 Posts
You might want to look into carbon fiber tubing...just a thought.

·
Registered
32 Posts
How do you think this would work out using soldered copper tubing?
Mate I'm not an engineer (hence the no-weld version) but my understanding is that solder is made from soft metals (Zinc maybe) so as to be easy to use to seal joints. As such it won't hold much stress at all. Might be worth checking this out , th e last thing you want is to reach full draw and wind up with a bunch of copper pipe coming at your head at 300fps.

JMHO YMMV (OMG WTF BBQ)

·
Registered
3,147 Posts
You might want to look into carbon fiber tubing...just a thought.
Isn't that stuff super expensive?
[/quote]

It's not cheap, 60" of 1.25 in tubing will set you back about $150.00.

·
Member, Brotherhood of Slingshot Nutz
11,245 Posts
[snapback]60" of 1.25 in tubing will set you back about $150.00."[/snapback]

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
Nice slingshot! Good to hear you like the "W" style, you are right, everybody should try it.

I see your handle does not rotate, why don't you simply try it out by fitting a thicker tube over the grip part? Use smooth tape to make it fitting, and put some oil on it to reduce the friction. The self centering is a great thing.

Regarding other materialss, I think you can easily make a slingshot from copper tubing.

Let's not forget that you will pull at the frame just with your thumb and index finger (holding the pouch). Few slingshots ever exceed 50 lbs draw force, most are way below that.

What is a must is that you try the stability in a vise. Clamp the slingshot into it at its lowest point, firmly, then put on safety gear (a motorbike helmet is a good idea) and pull. Use one arm first, start from careful over medium to a hard pull. Then use both hands, and look/listen for any signs of weakness. In the end, the frame should be OK with you pulling with both hands, repeatedly.

I use thick paracord instead of rubber bands for these tests. A normal person, pulling at a clamped in frame with both hands, and pulling on paracord instead of a pouch, can easily put 150 lbs on that frame.

A frame that passes this test can be considered safe.

Jörg

1 - 11 of 11 Posts